Cooling RAM from external heat source

Associate
Having recently picked up a 3070FE I'm finding that the end blow through fan is generating a pocket of really hot air for my ram to sit in.

Case is made from an old motherboard tray, a couple of extra bits bonded to it for strength and screwed to the wall. It's completely open and generally very good with thermals.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7ct7GwD3izFFkCP86

The 150mm thermalright fan is blowing cold air into the pcie slots, behind it is an Intel pcie nvme drive and 3 SATA disks. It also acts as a feeder for the top GPU fan.

The CPU cooler is currently blowing downdraught so it's not pulling hot air from the GPU. This is then compounding the ram heat issue.

The ram is only 3200 running on the xmp profile without any other overclock but after running the GPU at heavy loads the heat spreaders are almost too hot to touch, guessing about 50-60 °c.

Would I be best trying to deflect the flow from the GPU outwards with a heat shield, use an active solution to pull the air out or push cold air in and let it just disperse the static air?

Any thoughts? With my old 1070 it was never a problem because there was no blow through.

Associate
OP
It must add a certain amount but it was never a problem previously, the cpu never tops 65°C and the heatsink is always cold to the touch.

Associate
OP
I have no idea!
I updated my bios to try to troubleshoot and when I set the xmp profile it started pumping 1.38v into the ram, I don't recall what it was before though.
I've turned it down to 1.28v and it seems to be fine and running a little cooler. Not sure how low it would typically run at. It's 4x8 sticks of team group vulcan 3200.

Soldato
Maybe try something like a piece of stiff material (like file folder stock) cut and bent so it sets at about 45 degree angle across front of cooler from GPU side of RAM across cooler to turn heated air coming off GPU away from RAM. And/or mount a fan in area better front edge of motherboard tray and RAM flowing air at a slightly downward angle toward RAM and CPU cooler.

See you have some nice Thermalright stuff. Some sort of TRUE Spirit 140 cooler and TY-150 fan ?? Or is it optical allusion making a TY-141 look bigger than it really is?

Associate
OP
True spirit 140bw on the CPU, had it since my 2500k, just redrilled the bracket to fit AM4 :D

Unfortunately the ty150 has just decided to die, tries to start up but just bounces backwards. Have replaced it with a 140mm enermax twister that I had in stock.

I've used a second twister that I had in stock and wedged it between the power cable and wall, angled up at 45° and set the ty147 on the CPU to pull upwards. Seems to keep the RAM cooler with minimal additional noise.

I have reduced the RAM voltage which seems to have helped somewhat.

edit: photo

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdnU6LEUkK3wtY94A

Soldato
A good cooler for sure. Yeah, I've modded a few mounts to AM4. Good pillar drill and cross vice make it easy.

If temps ever seem high, maybe try a piece of stiff material / cardboard stock fit at angle from motherboard up toward right to deflect air coming out of GPU out / away from RAM. That way the air fan is flowing to RAM goes below this cardboard onto RAM..

Back
Top Bottom