Copart - Is that a RIP?

Soldato
My insurer have sent my motorbike to Copart after theft/recovery for "assessment".

Copart looks more like the place where a vehicle goes to be flogged to a dealer who repairs for peanuts then sells for a profit after they lowball me on the evaluation.

I am guessing my pride and joy is never to be seen again :(

Any "Copart" stories anyone wishes to share?

Last edited:
Soldato
Read something last night on Reddit's dubious MotoUK section - a guy had his bike sent off to Copart for assessment, but they acluctioned it off before he knew what was happening - not sure how much truth there is in his story, but sounded pretty shady to me.

Soldato
OP
I have heard a few people say that at the moment, valuations for write offs are rather high.

That would be consistent with how the market is at the moment (second hand prices are very high) so will have to wait and see I guess.

Await a call from Copart or the insurer one way or the other.

Am just missing riding having only got my licence 3 days before my 123 was stolen/wrecked. Rode on L plates for 3 and a half months.

Soldato
I had a ZX9R that was written off when it (and nearly I) was reversed over when I was filling up with fuel.
Whilst I was waiting for the insurance payout, a mate found it for sale on Coparts website.

Soldato
OP
I had a ZX9R that was written off when it (and nearly I) was reversed over when I was filling up with fuel.
Whilst I was waiting for the insurance payout, a mate found it for sale on Coparts website.
I do not understand how they do this, are you no longer the legal owner until agreed otherwise?

Or do we sign away all legal ownership when claiming on the insurance?

Last edited:
Soldato
I do not understand how they do this, are you no longer the legal owner until agreed otherwise?

Or do we sign away all legal ownership when claiming on the insurance?

Commiserations about your theft, it is a very sad comment on society and a real disgrace.

Re the insurance, I don't know for sure, but my thoughts are once you accept a claim, there will be clauses in the insurance company that cover the existing bike, so at that point it could become the insurance company's and not yours, unless negotiated separately.

Caporegime
Read something last night on Reddit's dubious MotoUK section - a guy had his bike sent off to Copart for assessment, but they acluctioned it off before he knew what was happening - not sure how much truth there is in his story, but sounded pretty shady to me.

I've seen this a few times all over the internet too, whether it's the same story parroted over every social media or differing stories is anyone's guess, I wouldn't even know if Copart could be held accountable. Shocking if not.

Soldato
If that did indeed happen then it's the insurance company's fault rather than Copart's. The insurance company hands write offs over to Copart for them to do whatever they want with - as mentioned, usually auctioned off for whoever to buy for parts or to repair and sell on as a Cat S/N repaired vehicle.

When my car was written off a few months ago I was contacted to be told it was going to be written off. After negotiating a better offer and confirming that I accepted it, they then told me that it was going to be handed over to Copart. I was also asked to update DVLA to inform them that it'd been written off and handed over to Copart.

They shouldn't be able to do this without your permission so that definitely seems a bit shady to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just had a call from Copart to "introduce" themselves as the ones assessing the bike and they will be in touch once complete.

Asked about why they needed the V5 and they said keep hold of it till the assessment has been completed.

Soldato
Does seem a bit odd. When my car was collected it was taken to a local body shop for assessment so I only handed over one of the keys and didn't hand over the V5C at all. In fact even when it got written off they asked me to either send off the V5C to DVLA or to update them online so I just did the latter. Still have the V5C (which I need to destroy of course) and the second key which I have no way of doing anything with so might as well trash it too.

Unless they do things differently for bikes it does seem odd. I'm not aware of Copart doing anything other than salvage but I could be wrong.

Soldato
OP
Copart advised me they do carry out assessments on behalf of the insurers and if is repairable, they will forward to authorised repairer.

Otherwise, they will categorise it if not repairable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had a call from Copart this morning.

They confirmed the bike is a CatB write off :(

They offered £1650..... :eek:

2015 CBF125, 4,300 miles in very good condition (pre scrotes).
I politely declined, they said their "ceiling" price is £1800. I politely declined again and have sent example listings of similar examples, which are £2,000+

Will see what they offer.

Problem is, the second hand 125 Japanese market is bonkers at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cat B?
How badly was it damaged? Frame bent?
Edit
Just seen your post describing the damage.
Not sure that’d warrant a Cat B, and it should be able to be repaired ok as mostly sounds cosmetic, bar the forks.
Cat B means it can’t go back on the road, and Copart can’t sell it as it needs to be destroyed.
I’ve had 2 bikes written off with quite a bit of damage and I bought them from the insurance company and then sold them on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom