Cordless mower recommendation?

Soldato
Hi all,

I took the 25 minute gap in rain to try and mow the lawn today but after 5 minutes or so the rotors started slowing down and a burning smell was apparent so it looks like I'm in the market for a new mower.

We've not got a huge garden but quite like the idea of no cables trailing around so am leaning towards a battery powered one!

I don't want to spend a fortune but can anyone recommend a decent(ish) mower for under say £300?

Should have said - I got it on sale for £250 with 2x 2Ah batteries. I think it's available at that price fairly regularly.

Very rough estimate, based on google maps, suggests I mow about 180m2 of grass, and it just makes it on one of the batteries.

Can I ask, did you go for the 49cm or the 35cm? I know my dad has a battery powered mower and his takes 2 batteries at the same time - is this the same??

Neither, 41cm!

The 2 batteries at a time one is (I think) a 48V mower, using 2x 24V batteries.

I very nearly bought Ryobi, as they have such a massive range of tools that the batteries would also fit - but I found one of theirs on display at a B&Q and was very disappointed in how flimsy it seemed.

I quite like the look of the Greenworks range - but I'm a bit unsure as to a couple of things:
  1. Stupid question I assume the 35/41/49cm measurement is the mowing (and therefore mower) width?
  2. In terms of the voltage of the battery - does the 40V simply mean a longer mowing duration or does this affect the power/performance of the mower itself?
I can find the 41cm Greenworks mower for around £290 but this looks to be 2 x 24V batteries, both of which need to be in the mower for use - how does the 40V differ from this? (sorry, I'm a novice when it comes to voltages etc)

Also, what are the advantages of the motor being "brushed" or "brushless"?

Thanks for the continued help....

TSo the 41cm mower that you've found which takes 2x 24V batteries is not the same as the one I have - it's probably the 48V model.
There's a fair bit of sense in going for that over the 40V I suppose - since that means you have a supply of 24V batteries rather than 40V batteries - and their 24V range of tools is much wider. Can't remember now why I didn't do that! :D

To be honest I'm torn between the 40V and the 2 x 24V setup - although I have seen the 49" mower with 2 x 2.5Ah 40V batteries for £250 but this is probably overkill for my needs! (plus that model appears to have dual rotors rather than one big one!?!?)

If it comes with a pair of batteries I reckon they have added them together to make it look better just like when dual core cpu's came about and dodgy sellers were selling dual core 1.8Ghz cpu's as 3.6Ghz just by adding them together.

Whatever you end up buying, personally I wouldn't look at a 2Ah battery for something heavy duty like a mower. My reason being that if a strimmer only lasts 10 minutes on a 2Ah battery a mower is going to be even shorter. Better to aim at 4Ah or more to give you a decent run time.

It's definitely 1 x 80V battery as there are pictures of it!

Having said that I've now seen a mower and strimmer bundle available for £290 and according to the description it comes with 2 of the 24V batteries but they are the 4Ah capacity - the only downside is that it is the 36cm model rather than the 41cm!

People need to stop being brand snobs as there is nothing wrong with Parkside tools and accessories. I have many of them and have never had any problems with any of them and even if I did have a problem the 3 year warranty is there to cover it. By paying double the cost or more for big brand names you are not getting something thats a massive increase in quality plus many of the big brands only give you a years warranty.

I'm by no means a brand snob (for example, before this thread I'd never heard of Greenworks!) - but in my experience you usually get what you pay for! I'm not saying the Lidl/Parkside stuff is no good but oftentimes cheaper is cheaper for a reason and it becomes a false economy! (even Parkside appears to have "Parkside Performance" which I assume is their "premium" (ie. more expensive) range!)

However, Lidl/Parkside could make things a little easier to consider their products - I've just gone to the website and it forces you to download the Parkside app - followed by a struggle to find the online product listings and then unless I'm just being stupid, when you click on "Go to the Onlineshop" it asks you to choose your country......and the UK isn't one of the options!?!? :confused:

If you don't have many cordless power tools already, it's worth considering what other cordless products the manufacturer offers, as you are picking your cordless "ecosystem" for which batteries can be shared.

I did think of this but I'm not much of a "DIY'er" so my limit is probably going to be the mower and strimmer!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - after watching a load of reviews etc I think I'm leaning towards the 36cm Greenworks 48V mower and strimmer bundle.

The only question now is what capacity batteries should I go for - there is a bundle with 2 x 24V 2ah batteries for £270 or another bundle that has 2 x 24V 4ah batteries for £295 - is the double capacity battery bundle worth the extra £25?

I assume this would pretty much double the mowing duration but at the same time I assume they will take longer to charge and will be physically larger? (and therefore heavier - thinking of the strimmer weight!)

Well I went for the Greenworks bundle of mower and strimmer with 2 x 24V 4ah batteries and it's been delivered today!

It's all gone together really well and looks a decent piece if kit - my only gripe is that the charger emits a fairly loud high pitched whine while charging the batteries - is this something I should be concerned about and perhaps get replaced?

My dad has a battery powered mower and I don't remember his charger having any noise at all!?!?

Expect some noise Is normal.I use the ego range and the charger sounds like a low pitched air dryerish , basically isn't silent.

Is the charger fan assisted if not could be heat related noises

Yeah, I've used battery chargers before but this is unusually loud! (and quite uncomfortable to be in the vicinity of!)

I appreciate I'm probably not going to be in the room while I'm charging the batteries but it does make me wonder whether the charger is faulty and potentially a fire risk!

I've contacted the retailer and annoyingly they have to replace the whole bundle rather than just the charger but I can see why I guess!

Back
Top Bottom