• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Not really, the only competition is the price, if the new Intel were the RRP they should be then nobody is really going to buy AMD, only reason people (like myself) are even looking at AMD is just price nothing else.

This might change in terms of performance when the Zen chips arrive but until then it's only really price that is making AMD look good.

That is only from a gaming perspective. If you look more broadly at PC requirements, Ryzen 3, 5, 7 are competition for i3, i5, i7. It is often down to finer requirements including motherboards, peripherals and software, but also their budget which determines what people buy and why.

Sorry to go off topic, back to 9000 series.

They're mirroring the audience.

There is zero downside in AMD coming in with a revolutionary design, producing more cores than anyone imagined realistic for consumers and undercutting the market everywhere.

On the other hand Intel is releasing products just to say they have something to answer AMD with... except they are dodging the price/performance challenge and trying to position as premium products with a premium price tag.

Obviously that leaves a mixed bag of feelings.

Should be popcorn and haribo time if AMD can get the clockspeeds up because that's all that can be used as justification for Intels premium, they do have higher clock speed for where it matters.

And then... then we'll have a real competition.

and then we will have a golden pig that flys. what is so hard to understand ? amd cant get the clock speed up there .thats why they try and sell you on the more core = better. its funny because its been 15 years roughly since they been doing this method and still cant get it up so to speak. yet you always see well the next chip will be 5ghz blah blah blah when they cant simply do it. why live in a dream ?

what they doing now they been doing for years. just trying to offer double the cores but at less clock speed. when ingaming what you need is clockspeed more than anything.

and then we will have a golden pig that flys. what is so hard to understand ? amd cant get the clock speed up there .thats why they try and sell you on the more core = better. its funny because its been 15 years roughly since they been doing this method and still cant get it up so to speak. yet you always see well the next chip will be 5ghz blah blah blah when they cant simply do it. why live in a dream ?

what they doing now they been doing for years. just trying to offer double the cores but at less clock speed. when ingaming what you need is clockspeed more than anything.

Yet it makes NO difference at 4K, and not a great deal at 1440/UW... it's only at 1080p where that big gap exists in games, and 1080p gamers aren't the audience for a £600 CPU!

Ryzen 7nm is going to close that gap even further, and if the price is right it's going to make the 9-series look even more of a rip off than it currently is.

Also, it's quite obvious Intel are copying AMD on the 'more cores' front. If Ryzen never existed, we'd all still be on 4-core CPUs from Intel!!

Not really, the only competition is the price, if the new Intel were the RRP they should be then nobody is really going to buy AMD, only reason people (like myself) are even looking at AMD is just price nothing else.

This might change in terms of performance when the Zen chips arrive but until then it's only really price that is making AMD look good.

You think gamer make up the majority of the market lol. Fact is even at similar price points AMD offers more threads for your money and more performance bar a few single threaded heavy games, it's so close that only nerds would care about the small difference.

I'll quite happily lose 10% in games for the way Ryzen can crush Intel when it comes to video editing.

At 4k its all about the GPU not clock speeds....No difference 9900K over Ryzen 2700K @ 4K

I have decided my studio PC upgrade will be a laptop running 8750H 6/12

It will make tracking easier and allow me to record in multiple places.

I'm waiting on Zen 2 and I'm going to build a new Ryzen Gaming /Video editing rig.

At 4k its all about the GPU not clock speeds....No difference 9900K over Ryzen 2700K @ 4K

Exactly. Yet I am stunned by the number of comments I'm reading elsewhere, and videos popping up on YouTube in respect to a 2080Ti+9900K being the ULTIMATE 4K PC lol, with no mention of the 2700X. It's laughable, but people fall for it. Some of these YouTubers are clearly in the pocket of Intel though I reckon.

The world has evolved, a lot of younger people and "millennials" believer everything they read on the internet or some YouTube or twitch stream without any regard for how the person advertising got their gear or is paid to promote it.

I read a retweet this morning from some moron streamer in the USA, advertising some NZXT pc building website and stating he just paid $4k from a PC on there. Someone reminded him that the very night before the same streamer was going on about building a pc and getting bang for buck etc.

Next day buys an over priced pre built with a 2080ti and 9900k.. so much for practicing what you preach.

Half these streamers wouldnt even know how to setup a PC properly, they just buy or recurve the best of everything then preach how great it is to their mass sheep following.

That's why they make so much cash, they all have referral pages and whatnot and product placement etc.

It seems people's ability to formulate their own opinion and do some research has gone out of the window, it's the state of the fast food society world we live in where everyone wants every thing now and quicker and faster than before and will just throw money at it.

So there is Nvidia and Intel and Apple etc waiting rubbing their greasy hands together. And the masses just allow them to bend them over.

Anyone stopping to think "I can achieve the same from alternative vendors and cheaper" is laughed down and scoffed at.

That is the sad state of the consumer driven world we live in.

The world has evolved, a lot of younger people and "millennials" believer everything they read on the internet or some YouTube or twitch stream without any regard for how the person advertising got their gear or is paid to promote it.

I read a retweet this morning from some moron streamer in the USA, advertising some NZXT pc building website and stating he just paid $4k from a PC on there. Someone reminded him that the very night before the same streamer was going on about building a pc and getting bang for buck etc.

Next day buys an over priced pre built with a 2080ti and 9900k.. so much for practicing what you preach.

Half these streamers wouldnt even know how to setup a PC properly, they just buy or recurve the best of everything then preach how great it is to their mass sheep following.

That's why they make so much cash, they all have referral pages and whatnot and product placement etc.

It seems people's ability to formulate their own opinion and do some research has gone out of the window, it's the state of the fast food society world we live in where everyone wants every thing now and quicker and faster than before and will just throw money at it.

So there is Nvidia and Intel and Apple etc waiting rubbing their greasy hands together. And the masses just allow them to bend them over.

Anyone stopping to think "I can achieve the same from alternative vendors and cheaper" is laughed down and scoffed at.

That is the sad state of the consumer driven world we live in.

And the YouTube bloggers slowly squirming their way into mainstream TV....Shudder...

Not really, the only competition is the price
Erm yes that's how competition works. What you mean is that AMD only has competitive products for ~90% of the mainstream segments (since they can't match Intel's single threaded performance at the top end). Same thing with GPUs: their products are perfectly competitive but only up to a certain performance bracket.

if the new Intel were the RRP they should be then nobody is really going to buy AMD, only reason people (like myself) are even looking at AMD is just price nothing else.

What are you talking about? Price by itself means nothing, it's performance per dollar where AMD is looking good. That is competition. I really don't understand this complete separation of performance and price in people's minds...I could just as easily say "the only reason people are even looking at Intel is performance, nothing else".

Intel is hoping their mindshare will make up for comparatively poor performance per dollar but the 14nm shortages are going to stretch that significantly.

so amds market is mainly budget or lower end. now work it out what res are those gamers going to be playing at ? 4k lol. these forums.:p

You have totally missed the point...And I'm struggling what you don't actually get...

Build a gaming PC for 4k either choose 9900k or Ryzen 2700x....Both will perform the same with the same GFX card

Yet one is £300 cheaper

I'll play if you want and quash any intel Rhetoric you have...You're too easy...

Dg.

I don't know if it is your intention or what but you are coming across as the biggest Intel fanboy EVER. Like totally biased and unable to see sense.
Everyone else can see the benefits of both Intel and AMD systems. But you will just constantly swear blind that AMD is no good. Absolute madness. As Easyrider says. at 4K you won't see a difference between 9900k and 2700x.

Maybe if you are a kid playing Fortnite or PUBG at 1080p then you will see a difference. But most people on this forum are not.

Dg.

I don't know if it is your intention or what but you are coming across as the biggest Intel fanboy EVER. Like totally biased and unable to see sense.
Everyone else can see the benefits of both Intel and AMD systems. But you will just constantly swear blind that AMD is no good. Absolute madness. As Easyrider says. at 4K you won't see a difference between 9900k and 2700x.

Maybe if you are a kid playing Fortnite or PUBG at 1080p then you will see a difference. But most people on this forum are not.

The data is out and the data is clear at 4K

The 9900k offers nothing over 2700x...it even offers nothing over 8700K

from this Data available to all of us...we can only confirm that Dg is trolling...

Dg.

or esports- intel has that firmly locked down with 1080p 240hz monitors being most event choice

but yeah, every ones pretty much nailed it on the head 4k is all about the GPU and the most you can chuck at it, ryzen 2700 and not the X and overclock it :D

still the only 2 games that have perfect thread scaling/performance is Lost Planet 2/3 - surprised no reviewers used the game with ryzen/coffeelake head to head same clock speed....

Erm yes that's how competition works. What you mean is that AMD only has competitive products for ~90% of the mainstream segments (since they can't match Intel's single threaded performance at the top end). Same thing with GPUs: their products are perfectly competitive but only up to a certain performance bracket.

What are you talking about? Price by itself means nothing, it's performance per dollar where AMD is looking good. That is competition. I really don't understand this complete separation of performance and price in people's minds...I could just as easily say "the only reason people are even looking at Intel is performance, nothing else".

Intel is hoping their mindshare will make up for comparatively poor performance per dollar but the 14nm shortages are going to stretch that significantly.

Performance per dollar.. is price mate.. what are you waffling about. Do I buy something that costs more that's faster or something that's cheaper that's slightly slower for what I need. You can wrap it up in any lingo you want but it all comes down to price. When Intel was a little bit more expensive no one cared about AMD apart from a few, now they are 50% more expensive more people looking at AMD, nothing to do with anything but the price. Seriously you think anyone who isn't a fanboy would buy an Intel at 500 quid if AMD released a chip that was as fast in all areas for 25% less?

these people who support amd loyally just do 4k no difference yet its probably 1-2 percent of the market. amd is budget sector. so they not playing at 4k. its so stupid. it does amuze me. that the only real arguement to show that amd cpus are slower is to use a resolution literally no amd player plays at. who honestly out of the 1-2 percent of 4k players will buy a 150-200 pound amd cpu then get a 4k monitor then get the top end gpus. be realistic.

people who are buying most of the amd gaming chips are at 1080. which amd lose at royally. so some of the dreamers just spout 4k as its the only way you can show no difference. or...that amd offer more cores.what good is this at 1080 where the chips are mainly used ? when its clockspeed you need not more cores.

thats why intel has the main gaming sector locked down.

people who are buying most of the amd gaming chips are at 1080. which amd lose at royally.

And those people have something called a BUDGET. To which buying AMD means they can get a faster GPU. Which means their system will actually get MORE fps than the i5 system they were looking at.

So no, AMD don't loose royally. The guy buying his gaming rig actually ends up with more FPS going with AMD. because he/she can afford a 1060 instead of a 1050 when looking at i5 vs R5.

See?

And those people have something called a BUDGET. To which buying AMD means they can get a faster GPU. Which means their system will actually get MORE fps than the i5 system they were looking at.

So no, AMD don't loose royally. The guy buying his gaming rid actually ends up with more FPS going with AMD. because he/she can afford a 1060 instead of a 1050.

See?

Exactly LOL...he amuses me @Dg Thats how you spell it:)

To easy

What's the sweet spot for RAM for the 9900k? I was looking at the 8 Pack Xtreme 4000mhz but for my use, gaming, streaming, some video editing, not sure if it is overkill. Looking at reviews 3200/3600 seems that spot but some games gain a bit going higher speed. Could you run the 4000's at say, 3600, and get better timings? Minimums especially seem to gain pretty well in some of the reviews I have read.

Back
Top Bottom