• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i9-7920X Delidding

Associate
Im thinking of buying a i9-7920X and Rampage VI Extreme i hear 85% of 7920X reach 4.5ghz but
without delidding the temps would close to 80c i would be happy with a 12 core monster at 4.5ghz
but not those temps with delidding it could go down to 70c to 71c i see their are binned and delidded
7920X on OCUK at 4.6ghz and 4.7ghz but im not willing to pay nearly 500 euro extra to go from 4.5ghz
to 4.7ghz with a delidded cpu im looking for a delidded 7920X at 4.5ghz for just above normal price.

I wont be buying a GPU as i have a GTX 1080 Corsair 860 750D case & H-115i i will be buying an 1TB SSD
and DDR4 3600 or 4000 i will be upgrading from 6850k which is useless for encoding large HEVC files and
with 4.5ghz some games like DCS World which is very cpu heavy.

Soldato
is there are question in there some there?

Pay the extra, risk breaking your expensive CPU or live with the extra 10 degrees....

personally I'd live with the extra temps or reduce the overclock to give temps i'm happy with

Soldato
close to 80c, no. My old 7900x with a 4.8ghz would hit 105c with a full custom water loop. This was dropped to around 80c when i delidded it.

4.5ghz you would be pushing 90c without a good cooler.

For the price it costs and with the extra overclocking potential if that's what you want then get a delidded one via OCUK.

If your not too bothered just get a stock chip and overclock a bit less. They do run surprisingly cool at stock or with a mild overclock.

Associate
OP
close to 80c, no. My old 7900x with a 4.8ghz would hit 105c with a full custom water loop. This was dropped to around 80c when i delidded it.

4.5ghz you would be pushing 90c without a good cooler.

For the price it costs and with the extra overclocking potential if that's what you want then get a delidded one via OCUK.

If your not too bothered just get a stock chip and overclock a bit less. They do run surprisingly cool at stock or with a mild overclock.

I usally buy all my PC parts from a well known PC seller in UK because their had a much better selection but now OCUK has really uped their
game since 2013 a retail 7920x will cost me 1143 Euro the delidded at 4.6 ghz will cost me 1437 Euro thats 295 euro to get an delidded 7920x
to go from 4.5ghz to 4.6ghz nothing is giving about the temps of the 4.6 ghz i dont want to buy a 4.6 ghz delidded cpu only to find out its temp
is at 85c+ so i have to drop volts & to 4.5ghz im going to wait till april when the new AMD 12nm Threadripper comes out which will cause panic
with Intel and a price drop me i dont like a cpu getting close to 80c

Soldato
I usally buy all my PC parts from a well known PC seller in UK because their had a much better selection but now OCUK has really uped their
game since 2013 a retail 7920x will cost me 1143 Euro the delidded at 4.6 ghz will cost me 1437 Euro thats 295 euro to get an delidded 7920x
to go from 4.5ghz to 4.6ghz nothing is giving about the temps of the 4.6 ghz i dont want to buy a 4.6 ghz delidded cpu only to find out its temp
is at 85c+ so i have to drop volts & to 4.5ghz im going to wait till april when the new AMD 12nm Threadripper comes out which will cause panic
with Intel and a price drop me i dont like a cpu getting close to 80c

IRRC its the ryzen mainstream cpus getting refreshed in april not Threadripper , Thats bound to be later on in the year but happy to be corrected

Soldato
If it's hitting 80c on a torture test that's fine, I wouldn't bother delidding.

It's never going to stay at that temperature in daily use, unless your daily use is torturing the chip with synthetic benching.

Associate
OP
We will have plenty of stock of thesetin delidded binned format soon. 4.6 and 4.7. I would wait and get one of these. In my second rig I run one at 4.7 very good performance.

Yes pack but what are the temps at 4.6 i will be playing just a few games like Flight sim DCS World but much more encoding mainly HEVC
and x264 to HEVC with AVX-512 which makes the AMD fanboys cry in anger when a 7900x 10 core beats Threadripper 16 core Threadripper
nevermind what a 12 core 7920x will do to their beloved Threadripper im not a fanboy if AMD was better id buy AMD but their not yet they
flood the reviews telling everyone to get Threadripper Amazon everywhere saying their faster for encoding.

Permabanned
If your using true avx 512 you absolutely must delid to get 4.1ghz under load on all cores. No option at all. Otherwise your at 105c straight up. I tested this a lot.

Isn't this a proof that Intel violates the normal and safe conditions under which their CPUs should operate under certain applications loads?

I mean they are for the court, aren't they?

Soldato
No ofcourse not. Run it at stock it's fine. No overclocking is guaranteed even on k or X sku.

I think stock avx 512 on this cpu is around 3.3ghz.
I thought there was some kind of offset multiplier you could set in the BIOS to make the chip downclock when running AVX workloads, even when overclocked?

Soldato
14-18 cores generally don't gain as much from delidding, but I'd go with one of those SKU instead. As Ian says, though, if using AVX512 delidding is really your only option. The VID drop from the AVX offset isn't enough to negate the temperature load placed on the CPU.

It's a shame the ROG guys didn't port the temp throttle utility over from X99.

Back
Top Bottom