Correct rawl plugs?

Soldato
Hi guys. Started drilling holes to put up some coat hooks but the rawl plugs I have only go halfway in. Do you know what size I'd need?

The ones I have are red, and also brown.

20161027_144401.jpg

The drill bit size is 6mm.

20161027_142810.jpg

20161027_143730.jpg

20161027_143707.jpg

Soldato
Just hold the drill bit against the plug (use the non-threaded part of the bit, it's easier to see) and match the width, going slightly under rather than over.

E:

Aren't you drilling wood there? Don't bother with a plug at all - just screw it in (drill a small guide hole)

Man of Honour
Get some 6mm ones if you're using a 6mm bit also make sure you're drilling deep enough for them to actually fit and don't forget it should be a relatively snug fit.

Soldato
You need a smaller drill bit.
Or just use your 4mm bit and drill a shallow guide hole and let the screw tap it's own hole after that.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Get some 6mm ones if you're using a 6mm bit also make sure you're drilling deep enough for them to actually fit and don't forget it should be a relatively snug fit.

Yeah, I guess this is the answer, I'll get some 6mm plugs. The screws go all the way in the hole so I guess I've drilled far enough in. I'm a bit worried to drill any deeper in case I break through to the other side of the door.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it seems I do need smaller drill bits than 4mm, then as you say, I shouldn't have needed plugs.
Ah well, since I've now drilled a 6mm hole, I'll try 6mm plugs. Or maybe I can buy screws that are wider?
I think the 6mm plugs might work though.

Soldato
That's a door right? Is it solid or hollow?

If solid then just dig in a little with a bradawl and use a self tapping screw.

If hollow then I've always found it a bit trickier. gluing a baton on and then screwing into that is one solution I've seen, otherwise you'll need to see if there's something specifically for fixing into a hollow that is short enough. Many of the ones designed for plasterboard will be too long, but perhaps something like a small spring toggle fixing would be right if short enough:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...|prd|5238963&gclid=CLT_9_-U-88CFVS4Gwod4RYDEQ

Soldato
OP
It's a firedoor. I started with a braddle, then a pilot bit (my 4mm) then the 6mm.

Actually, maybe I didn't drill far enough in yet? The screws drop all the way in the hole I made though without the plug. See, last night I tested the different size bits on a piece of wood and the red plug pushes all the way into the 6mm hole. So maybe I should drill a bit deeper?

20161027_151340.jpg

Lol, I'm really quite hopeless at DIY but I do at least try. :p

Man of Honour
Take your bit, line up the bottom of the plug with the end of the bit, wrap a bit of tape around your bit where the top of the plug is.

Then you know where to stop drilling.

Soldato
It's a firedoor. I started with a braddle, then a pilot bit (my 4mm) then the 6mm.

Actually, maybe I didn't drill far enough in yet? The screws drop all the way in the hole I made though without the plug. See, last night I tested the different size bits on a piece of wood and the red plug pushes all the way into the 6mm hole. So maybe I should drill a bit deeper?

Lol, I'm really quite hopeless at DIY but I do at least try. :p

This might give you a clue r sole :( -We all had to learn.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help guys. tom-e, I wrapped tape around my bit (ooh matron). Yep, I simply hadn't drilled deep enough. *facepalm*

All done now. Now to drill for the second hook to the right of it and two more for the bathroom. :) I'll buy 1mm to 3mm drill bits for future use so I don't have to use plugs in wood.

20161027_153453.jpg

20161027_153657.jpg

Yes cheesyboy, it was pushing it a bit. This is the length of the plug to the depth of the door. I guess I could have snipped the plug length if need be.

20161027_154601.jpg

Soldato
OK - no offense

To OP

If you are fixing into solid wood just use a wood screw - make sure it isn't to long if screwing into something with a finish on other side. - Also helps to drill a pilot hole but it must be smaller than screw - 4mm diam screw drill 1mm hole- Just also seen you have egg box doors so plug is needed.:rolleyes:

If you are screwing into hollow doors etc you could use a hollow wall fixing.

The same is said for fixing in plasterboard or other type of boards .

If drilling into concrete -brick or block you use a wall plug or wall fixing.

These are just the basics.

Hope it helps

ps - bit late now just saw your reply :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
This might give you a clue r sole :( -We all had to learn.

Heh, yeah, I'm slowly learning and improving :) Don't do much DIY at all but I'm enjoying using my new drill, drill bits and screw driver bits. I'm going to buy some screwdriver extensions as there's been things in the way when putting up my curtain pole and just now with this hook which meant using a manual screwdriver for some of the job.

Back
Top Bottom