Corrupt files

Associate
Hi guys,

everytime i d/l someting on my new comp when I try to install it it says its corrupt?

Any ideas what could cause this?
I am connecting to the net through my laptop as i dont have a wireless card yet(its on its way) Could this be causing it?
If i d/l on my laptop everything is fine.

Any ideas coz im baffled?

Commissario
it could be one of the network cards, or a cable, but in my opinion it's more likely to be a dodgy ram module in the desktop (could be the ram needs a bit more juice), as corrupted archive files (zip, rar etc) are a classic sign of memory playing up (as unzipping the archive uses the ram a lot ;)).
Another possibility is a dodgy drive, although i think that's unlikely.

I would suggest running memtest on both machines to check the ram.
Try transferring a couple of large files repeatedly between the machines, checking it at the end of each transfer (a large zip archive would be great), as that would possibly show up a problem with the network.

Those are a couple of quick suggestions :)

Associate
Are you using an Nforce 4 motherboard by any chance? A friend of mine was having similar issues, and it turned out to be caused by the Nvidia firewall that came with his motherboard. Even if it's not turned on it seems to cause problems.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions ill give them a try

btw it is a nforce 4 mobo (asus a8n-e) and come to think of it i think everything worked ok befor i installed the firewall thingy. ill try removing it and c what happens

Associate
OP
well ive uninstalled the nvidia firewall and downloaded the file i tried earlier and it worked so that might have been it or it may have been a fluke.

i'll run memtest overnight anyway

Back
Top Bottom