Corrupted HDD on Packard Bell laptop?

Associate
Hi all.

I'm trying to fix up my Dads Packard bell laptop, only just over 2 years old. It wasn't booting and blue screened with a 'unmountable boot volume' error message.

I took the hard drive out and tried to read from it, there are two partitions and one is un-readable and needed to be formatted - the other just has lots of random boot files so not really sure what that is about?

I thought it looked like we were going to loose the data, and began a system restore, using the restore DVDs that we were prompted to burn when we first set up the laptop.

After booting from the first disk, about 5-10 minutes of 'loading files' it comes up with a Java script error and reboots, and continues in this loop.

So gutted because it has hardly been used really - not sure what to do with it next?

Any suggestions guys?

Dan

Associate
its perhaps the recovery partition which has odd looking files.

Id run hirens boot cd and test the hdd, or google packard bell hard drive diagnostic cd, should be available on packard bell support website also.

It runs a short or long test to see if the hdds failing.... if it is then u need a new one sadly.

Associate
OP
Excellent, thanks very much! Just having a look at the hirens CD, any Hdd diagnostic app in particular that you would recommend?

If I have to change the hdd, should the recovery dvd's I have bring back the OS?

edit - might be a silly question but where do I download hirens from? Cant seem to find a link on this page http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Associate
yeah hirens boot cd also contains a list of manufacturer hdd diagnostic tools, u can also check the brand of your hdd via the bios, and also download the hdd diagnostic tool directly from the manufacturers website, ie seagate.com its seagate tools

hopefully the link i posted above is allowed cos its easier for you to run that test

Associate
OP
Hi mate, got the cd in the laptop now - but when I start a full hard drive test it seems to hang on 'finding drives'

Any ideas? I guess this could be a symptom of the hdd being dodgy

Associate
Hi mate, got the cd in the laptop now - but when I start a full hard drive test it seems to hang on 'finding drives'

Any ideas? I guess this could be a symptom of the hdd being dodgy

thats not a good sign at all in fact usualy says its a dead hdd.

if the hdd does not get detected in bios (press f2 or delete) and check if hdd is showing.... or try chkdsk in case, otherwise like i suggested earlier if u know the manufacturer grab the hard drive test free from the manufacturers website.

ie western digital, google western digital hdd diagnostic etc

that is the best way to confirm hdd failure.

still feels since packard bell test showed it struggled with the hdd so its not looking good tbh.

Back
Top Bottom