Corsair go air cooling

Soldato
With the A500 CPU 120mm twin fan cooler

Looks interesting and I was surprised to see it's announcement i never expected Corsair to do CPU air cooling, I can't find any reviews but looking forward to seeing how it performs but with just 4 heats pipes and priced at £90 I'm not sure how it's going to stack up with the big boys offerings like Noctua and BeQuiet

What do you think?

Permabanned
Annotation-2020-01-06-193438.jpg

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...ling/A500-Dual-Fan-CPU-Cooler/p/CT-9010003-WW

Soldato
What do you think?

Just for fun - I predict it could be the best performing 120mm 4-heatpipe cooler, at the expense of a lot of noise (and bulk depth-wise). 2400 max RPM on two fans, that are expensive but not among the very quietest. Lawnmower maybe. Doesn't look like it will compete with better 5, 6, 7 heatpipe options costing less (and some with less bulk). If I'm wrong, great.

For a 120mm cooler to cover all the RAM slots in this day and age is a little backwards.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm pretty lazy at times!

Agreed it's going to have to spin those fans to work those heat pipes, interesting stuff looking forward to see how it does, hopefully it's decent and Corsair bring out more CPU air coolers maybe this is just to test the water

Soldato
Looks like some of the extremely cheap aftermarket coolers I've seen. Direct contact heatpipes with least amount of bends possitle in straight pipes running front to back on CPU instead of more tradtional bottom to top layout (in tower cases). Only difference is being plated instead of bare aluminum & copper. So heatpipe orientation may result in better performance on some CPUs, but that's about all it has going for it. Oh, it's got a big hole cut out of fins in the middle area so it's kinda like twin towers, but not big enough to use a center fan like twin towers do.
https://www.**********/images/infopages/corsair_cooler/A500/heat-transfer.png

Last edited:
Soldato
A500 interferes with ram slots where as the U12A doesn't

Looking at the previews doing the rounds, it has a sliding fan mount system that allows you to move the fans up and down on rails, giving the option to move the fans up to clear tall ram without having to mess around with clips etc, actually looks very nice.

It seems to perform well and not be too noisy, my main concern is the weight, it's heavier than a Noctua.

Soldato
OP
Looking at the previews doing the rounds, it has a sliding fan mount system that allows you to move the fans up and down on rails, giving the option to move the fans up to clear tall ram without having to mess around with clips etc, actually looks very nice.

It seems to perform well and not be too noisy, my main concern is the weight, it's heavier than a Noctua.

I worded my post badly what I meant was you won't be able to see the ram if you have fancy pants ram sticks :)

Soldato
Yes, by the looks of it, it'll cover most of the mobo too. I'm (pleasantly) surprised they've not plastered it with RGB, well done Corsair.

I keep thinking that guy on the video is going to announce "Lets go through the keyhole".

Associate
It uses ML120s with the magnetic levitation tech which are definitely Corsair's best fan range, I use 2 x 120MLS and 2 x 140MLs they are great fans and very quiet if tuned for max RPM under load. They just have higher max RPM than many other fans as extra power if you need it with no bearings at all for extra noise.

I also have Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 in the same build and have used Noctuas so I have good comparisons, those ML120s are highly capable fans and can be configured in silent at idle and quiet for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom