Corsair TX650M x 7900XT?

Associate
Hi all!

I'm looking to have to upgrade from my dead 2070 Super and am looking at the Powercolor 7900XT. I'm getting mixed info online as to whether my gold rated 650w PSU (Corsair TX650M) would handle the build with the new card.
So it would be a 7900XT, 5800X3D, 16gb, Gigabyte B450 Gaming mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, er, 3 case fans, an HHD and SSD.

I know having more w's would be ideal, but I'm trying to see if its likely to have any issues immediatly. If not I can avoid upgrading it but still buy/use the new card now. Thanks in advance!

No, as I told you in the other thread.

It's a very good PSU and more than enough for that rig. The only reason you'd have problems with a 7900XT is if your PSU inherently had something wrong with it, or you found some way to run everything you had installed at once -- and even then it'd probably be fine.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. The only reason asking here as your green light was one of the few positive responses I could find in a sea on internet '750W mIniMum!1' - And trust me, I was looking for biased responses that don't involve me spending more money :cry:

I'll bite the bullet!

Ah, yes. The only reason asking here as your green light was one of the few positive responses I could find in a sea on internet '750W mIniMum!1' - And trust me, I was looking for biased responses that don't involve me spending more money :cry:

I'll bite the bullet!

The general recommendations of GPU's needing X power supply are often due to people running crap power supplies, the TXM while technically a budget "gold" model is still very decent.

See here: https://www.guru3d.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-7900-xt-review/page-6/#power-consumption

You'll be fine unless there's a fault, and if there is you'd need to buy a new PSU anyway.

And trust me, I was looking for biased responses that don't involve me spending more money
I'm getting mixed info online as to whether my gold rated 650w PSU (Corsair TX650M) would handle the build with the new card.
There's never a 100% guarantee with any PSU I'm afraid, so you're always going to get a bunch of different responses on the Internet.

You can have issues even with a PSU that is over the recommended wattage, if the PSU really doesn't like the characteristics of the card, or the PSU is an old design/not a good unit.

In the worst case, if you find that the card trips your PSU, then you could power limit it until it stops tripping.

If you're right at the edge of your budget and are not comfortable with what you're spending, perhaps hold fire and reconsider. There might be more deals on the way, as we get closer to black friday.

Back
Top Bottom