Corsair Xeneon 315QHD165 and 32QHD165 - same monitor or not?

Man of Honour
I'm considering the 315QHD165. When I look for reviews of it, I find positive reviews of the 32QHD165, e.g.

On the one hand, I'm thinking that it's probably the same monitor. 32 inch and 31.5 inches are the same thing for monitor sizing, so that could explain the difference in model name.

On the other hand, different monitors with very similar names are definitely a thing. So maybe they're different monitors.

Corsair's website isn't conclusive. There's no mention of a 32QHD165 at all.

Man of Honour
OP
Well, I did some more digging and found a page on Corsair's site for the Xeneon 32QHD165:

But it's not mentioned on the monitor section of the product page:

That has the Xeneon 315QHD165 instead, the one that is available to buy:

I think there should be more transparency in the monitor market. There's nothing to stop a company releasing one monitor, getting good reviews for it and then replacing it with a different monitor given almost the same name. Maybe that's what Corsair has done here. Maybe not.

Associate
I'm considering the 315QHD165. When I look for reviews of it, I find positive reviews of the 32QHD165, e.g.

On the one hand, I'm thinking that it's probably the same monitor. 32 inch and 31.5 inches are the same thing for monitor sizing, so that could explain the difference in model name.

On the other hand, different monitors with very similar names are definitely a thing. So maybe they're different monitors.

Corsair's website isn't conclusive. There's no mention of a 32QHD165 at all.

they have different sku's

315QHD165 - CM-9020007

32QHD165 - CM-9020001

Man of Honour
OP
they have different sku's

315QHD165 - CM-9020007

32QHD165 - CM-9020001

I think that answers my question. Thanks to both of you for the information.

Different SKUs. Different specs. Different panels. Different monitors.

Bring out an excellent monitor, get great reviews, quietly drop it and replace it with an inferior monitor with almost the same name. I wish I was surprised by that deception, but sadly I'm not. It's obviously worked for Corsair - anyone looking for reviews of the Xeneon 315QHD165 will be shown reviews of the Xeneon 32QHD165 (a different and better monitor) and at least some of them will be misled by that.

My first choice was a Gigabyte M32Q. That no longer exists, replaced by the M32QC (which is a completely different monitor). My second choice was a Corsair Xeneon 32QHD165. That no longer exists, replaced by the Corsair Xeneon 315QHD165. Also a completely different monitor. But a lot more deceptive as the specs initially appear to be the same. Same size, same res, same refresh rate, same general panel type. Also, anyone looking for reviews for the 315QHD165 will be directed to reviews of the 32QHD165. If there are any reviews of the 315QHD165, I can't find them.

I'm reluctant for a third go-round. I was also looking at one of the dozens of very similarly named (but different) iiyama monitors, but that went straight from pre-order with no known arrival date to out of stock to no longer listed.

EDIT: No, scratch that last bit. It was an LG monitor I was looking at (32GP850-B), which does explain why I didn't find it listed with iiyama monitors :) . But the LG monitor went from pre-order to out of stock. Unless I want to chance some random supplier on an online marketplace. Which I don't.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The plot thickens...

So I'm on to my third choice, the LG 32GP850-B. Which turns out to be two different monitors. Different SKUs, different entries on LG's support website, etc. There's the LG 32GP850-B.AEK and the LG 32GP850-B.BEK. The latter is unavailable, the former is available. I looked through the detailed specifications parts of the two manuals on LG's website and they're identical. But the monitors clearly aren't, as they're different SKUs showing as different monitors on LG's website. I can't find any information on the differences.

This is really rather silly. I didn't expect buying a new monitor to require picking my way through such a degree of obfuscation and product substitution.

Associate
The plot thickens...

So I'm on to my third choice, the LG 32GP850-B. Which turns out to be two different monitors. Different SKUs, different entries on LG's support website, etc. There's the LG 32GP850-B.AEK and the LG 32GP850-B.BEK. The latter is unavailable, the former is available. I looked through the detailed specifications parts of the two manuals on LG's website and they're identical. But the monitors clearly aren't, as they're different SKUs showing as different monitors on LG's website. I can't find any information on the differences.

This is really rather silly. I didn't expect buying a new monitor to require picking my way through such a degree of obfuscation and product substitution.

I would guess this might be a revision change rather than two separate monitors. Maybe a slightly updated firmware or something like that

Man of Honour
OP
I would guess this might be a revision change rather than two separate monitors. Maybe a slightly updated firmware or something like that

That would be my guess too, but having seen the amount of obfuscation and product substitution in monitors I don't fancy betting £350 on my guess. Particularly since in this case the manufacturer of the monitors lists them as two different monitors.

Associate
That would be my guess too, but having seen the amount of obfuscation and product substitution in monitors I don't fancy betting £350 on my guess. Particularly since in this case the manufacturer of the monitors lists them as two different monitors.
yeah crazy isnt it. There really are some strange tactics being used by companies

Back
Top Bottom