Cost Setting up a wifi link between my house and a neighbour approx 200m.

Caporegime
Ive very briefly looked at this.
I have a 500mbit fibre line and looking to share "a bit" over wifi to a friend/ neighbour.

1. Is it feasible and will the result be good enough to stream HD /4k .
Im guessing 50mbit would be a good result.
2. Cost of setup is essential. If it's too much its just not worth the hassle. Its possibly too much now if it involves a lot of running power cables/ drilling holes through outside walls.
The ultimate solution would be all "indoors" at my end.

If anyone with knowledge could help me/guide me. Not only on the hardware but the software too. Ideally would want to keep his network private and mine too is the correct word to bridge the 2? :p I'm so rusty.

Anyway thanks ! Ballpark figure for everything we would need. Assume we have nothing but a fibre connection ready to plug into "my home router" .
Tplink 5ghz thing archer ax 73.

Soldato
If you’ve got line of sight between the two properties then a point to point wireless solution like Mikrotik’s Wireless Wire will give you reliable 1Gbps between the properties for about £200 (don’t k ow pricing in Sweden). While I’d wall mount them outside, they claim to work through windows so you may not have to do anything except plug them in and go.

Associate
If you’ve got line of sight between the two properties then a point to point wireless solution like Mikrotik’s Wireless Wire will give you reliable 1Gbps between the properties for about £200 (don’t k ow pricing in Sweden). While I’d wall mount them outside, they claim to work through windows so you may not have to do anything except plug them in and go.
I had some old UniFi point to point units which would work even if there was "Less dense" things inbetween them, that being said I would avoid it where possible as when I set them up in testing I found it made the latency worse when there was a cardboard box inbetween the units.

In terms of segregation, it depends on how complciated you want to get and what both of your needs are as you could:
  1. Get a decent router and VLAN capable switch (Something like a OPNSense box and any decent L2 switch like an 1820 or UniFi switch), setup your neighbor on their own VLAN and subnet and deny all between your VLAN and theirs whilst allowing all traffic out from their VLAN to the WAN/internet connection (Fine if they are not doing any hosting or if they don't have their own router they want to use)
  2. Get a decent router and see if your ISP will give you a block of IPs and pass one IP through to your neighbor so they can set up their own router, networks, VLANs and port-forwards etc
Option 1 is probably the easier and cheaper option whereas option 2 definitely gives your neighbor some more freedoms if they are the "tinkerer" type of person :D

In terms of hardware, if it were me I would go for something like the following:

• Router: Topton N100 running OPNSense
  • Switch: UniFi Lite 8 PoE
  • Point to point: Ubiquiti Loco AirMax Nanostation 5AC
Not the cheapest setup, but definitely one which should do what you are looking for however there are likely cheaper options from other brands that can yield a faster connection, UniFi/Ubiquiti does tend to be pretty good for the setup process :)

Back
Top Bottom