Could do with a second glance at this upgrade

Associate
Hi all,

I am upgrading my system and I am very rusty!

I currently have:

Asus Sabertooth 990fx r1.0
8320e
2 x 8GB G Skill F3-2666C12-8GTXD Ripjaws

I wanted to upgrade as performance in games and some casual photo/video editing is poor. Additionally, this board/CPU has always been fussy with RAM, causing me some issues with stability. The Rev 1 board struggles with overclocking these later chips, so cannot get decent performance gains here.

Budget is very tight at the minute, but I wanted a decent board that will last me a while, so have selected a cheaper CPU and RAM, which I will upgrade down the line. I have ordered this:

**B Grade** Asrock X370 Taichi AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Stock Code BG-16L-AK
£100.00*

AMD Ryzen 3 Quad Core 1200 3.40GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail

Stock Code CP-3A6-AM
£79.99*

Team Group Dark Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDPGD48G300

Stock Code MY-070-TG
£89.99*

I appreciate you may have selected different components, and may have reservations about B-Grade, but I am pretty happy with my plan. I am however worried about compatibility; will this RAM give me any trouble once I flash to the latest BIOS? I have heard various things about RAM compatibility and Ryzen 1 - am I worrying to much?

@m3csl2004

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £360.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

board not as great , cant argue against that. can say though, better CPU, free 240gb ssd and new board with 3 year UK RMA :)

ask OCUK customer service why item is B- Grade . if box damaged or return then could be a steal but you'll only have 90 days warranty etc

ram will work fine in the taichi board!!!

I was tempted by that bundle, but would prefer the better board. 90 day warranty is a bit of a gamble, but it is a gamble that has paid off in the past. I am glad the RAM will be okay - thank you for confirming.

Just keep in mind that a B-grade motherboard may turn up with just the board by itself and no accessories at all. I wouldn't sacrifice cpu power just to get a better board and would rather go for Orbitalwalsh's suggested bundle with full warranty.

Back
Top Bottom