Could my mobo be dying?

Associate
Hi guys

Bit of an odd one I cant get my head around. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

PC has been working fine up until yesterday.

First issue. Yesterday

Downloading an update on steam, got to the end of the update and it said disk write error.

Moved said game to C: drive instead of the other drive I have for games, updates fine.

Shutdown fine no issues

Second issue. Today

Same problem, different game wouldn't update due to a disk error.

Installed crystaldisk to check drives are all healthy, they are.

Uninstalled Steam to try and reinstall and see if that fixes problem.

After shutting down and restarting, my WiFi adapter is saying in device manager "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

After multiple restarts I've noticed on startup it's taking an extremely long time to get through the post screen and boot into windows and when it does, it's almost like windows is stuttering, the sound is jumping and only partially playing. It stays the same when you move the volume slider. Sort of fades and stutters in and out.

I've tried restoring back to the 24th of this month, long before I had any issues with no luck.

I've just recently managed to get into the BIOS but it's laggy, extremely laggy, I'm talking like I move the mouse and it moves on screen 10-15 seconds later?

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Specs are below.

Ryzen 9 7900x
Nvidea 3080
32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Gigabyte aorus x670 elite ax

I'm unsure about anything being seated wrong as the pcs established and has been working without fault for over a year and a half. The cpu also has an AIO so nothing to heavy being held up.

I've just tried clearing CMOS and it hasn't made a difference.

I now can't even boot into windows. It's doing the whole automatic repair malarkey and blue screening....

Going from bad to worse at this point.

What is the model of your drives?

Health report doesn't always respond to the smart data, it depends.
I have a Corsair Force MP510 500gb nvme as a boot drive, a Samsung 980 pro 1tb for games and an extremely old 2tb HDD that was completely empty that I was transferring some tv shows to from another PC I use as a server earlier today before it all went wacky.

Currently I'm edging towards PSU as the PC is now completely dead. No LEDs or anything, tried multiple kettle plugs and sockets and it's completely kaput.

the original rm series, i had a few of them, one i sold here developed a issue was rma'd and replaced, if your system is not powering on at all i would say somethings gone wrong with your unit, do you have a spare kettle cable to try just in case it will powerup?
I have tried a new kettle plug, and directly from a socket rather than my extension lead.

Looking up requirements aswell, looks like I'm right on the edge with 850 watt, if under full load I've been constantly taking it to the edge of its capability i think it would fail quicker than normal.

850w is within spec for your build, even if you stress the cpu and gpu to 100% you'll be around 490w (asuming you run a FE gpu) with fans and drives you wont be much more than mid 550w max, but again if the pc wont power up even after trying a new cable and via the wall socket points to a psu problem.

which 3080 in particular do you have a FE or a aib with 3x8pins?
A terrible Gigabyte eagle 3080, 2x8pins

I'm gonna play around with it some more in the morning, I want to check there's no fuse or something I've popped when I've been ******* with it, I just think it's strange that it was at least booting and then as soon as I unplug, clear CMOS and remove one stick of ram it completely died.

Thanks all for your help, I'll check back in tomorrow after I've poked it with a large stick.

Back
Top Bottom