Couple quick head scratch questions re new build ATX12V and USB-C..

Hey wondering if anyone could help, i'm just finishing up a new build, and had a couple of questions?

The first is when connecting up the front panel to the motherboard the USB3.0 header fits fine, but the case USB-C connector cable slots into the motherboard USB-C slot but is really loose, there's no sweet sliding into place sound, you can wiggle it about while fully pushed in, and the cable just falls straight back out again without any resistance. Was wondering if there was something i'm missing, are they two slightly different gen connectors, do I need an adaptor, am I trying to connect it to completely the wrong place?

Case:
1x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
2x USB 3.0
Mobo:
USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-C Connector
USB 3.2 Gen1 Header

And just to double check a quick second question, the motherboard has an 8pin and 4pin ATX12V for the CPU. I've plugged in the 8pin but from reading up it seems the 4pin is only needed if overclocking/volting, so just checking this is the case?

Thanks
Mach234

but the case USB-C connector cable slots into the motherboard USB-C slot but is really loose, there's no sweet sliding into place sound, you can wiggle it about while fully pushed in, and the cable just falls straight back out again without any resistance. Was wondering if there was something i'm missing, are they two slightly different gen connectors, do I need an adaptor, am I trying to connect it to completely the wrong place?

Case:
1x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
2x USB 3.0
Mobo:
USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-C Connector
USB 3.2 Gen1 Header
It is fiendishly difficult to find clear information on this (or I'm just bad at google), but it does sound like you shouldn't be using the cable in this header. If it falls out with no resistance then it doesn't fit.

And just to double check a quick second question, the motherboard has an 8pin and 4pin ATX12V for the CPU. I've plugged in the 8pin but from reading up it seems the 4pin is only needed if overclocking/volting, so just checking this is the case?
Yeah, the manual says you can use either the 8 pin OR the 8 pin and the 4 pin.

Hmm thanks,

I think that it should click in with the correct pressure(according to reddit), is the board flexing or something when you try to push it in? do you have all the standoffs in place?
I've definitely pushed it in to the full extent it will go, no flexing and all standoffs in place.

It is fiendishly difficult to find clear information on this (or I'm just bad at google), but it does sound like you shouldn't be using the cable in this header. If it falls out with no resistance then it doesn't fit.
Think i'll try and find a USB-C connector extender/adaptor cable and see if that works..

...okay so from what i've found from an afternoon of reading (and honestly who on earth is working in the USB naming conventions department), basically it seems if i'm reading it right that this is a USB Type-C Front Panel Connector a fairly new header type (which hasn't actually been approved by the USB-IF yet and is still a white paper) to only be used with USB Type-C, but due to its catchy name many component manufacturers are calling it a Type-E connector. But apparently from the spec doc above there are two different definitions for the connector, a Key-A and a Key-B version (which sent me on another goose chase involving getting my old magnifier out of the loft), both are definitely Key-A male/female connectors, so I think I must have just got one with a faulty locking clip/the connector might just have been from an out of tolerance batch.. Time for a mini rubber wedge.. :)

Thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom