Courier.. Is it acceptable to enter your back garden?

Caporegime
More asking out of interest if you think this crosses the line for a courier.

I've been out since Christmas and had an unexpected item come into stock (been waiting weeks) and thus delivery has been attempted 3 days in a row.

Usually you can reschedule but for some i reason couldn't

Anyway.

Today I saw it was "delivered" into out back garden.

This involved unlocking a 6ft high gate (that only unlockable to allow neighbours access to my chickens.

My Google nest cams have picked this up.

I don't have a problem with it myself. But is this crossing the line? I've never had a courier attempt this before.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
How’d he (or the neighbours) unlock it without a key? Or is it just on a latch/pad bolt?

Usually he wouldn't be able to

But I've only left the top bolt on (ie you can reach over) but the padlock (inside and 3 ft up) off as my neighbour needs access to check on my hens.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
It's a difficult one.

I also wouldn't have a problem with it, especially as I'd rather just have my package delivered than have to sort redeliveries or collections from depots. And usually, I get pretty much the same drivers from each delivery company.

I'm sure their intentions were pure. I've never had it happen to me personal, but they have gone down the side of my house and thrown things over the gate.

I have 3 cams and he does nothing I'd consider "wrong" he even locks the gate after. But I'd guess for some people this would be crossing the line?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
When you say “unlock”, you mean merely open the garden gate/door? There wasn’t a key that he searched and found in a plant pot? I mean there might be a little bolt but no pad lock on the bolt?

To be….that would be like people putting a little front gate on the drive and front garden and the postman opens the gate, comes in to deliver and then as long as he closes and put it back how it was, it’s fine.

Or he could do what some of my delivery usually does….since they can’t open the garden door from the outside, it is thrown over the fence and land anywhere in the garden.

That's what i mean. I don't have a problem with it. It's in a safe space. It's out of the weather and he didn't force anything. But I'd say for some it's over a line?

Because it is a 6-7ft brick wall with a 6ftish gate?

But yes. Vs the courier that left it outside the front door in the rain? I'd rather this for sure.

Caporegime
OP
Why would it be crossing a line? You said yourself the gate was not locked, so no problem. Rather get the item delivered in a safe place than not at all.

Because it's clearly going into the back garden through a closed gate when no one is in. What would happen if I was in a pair of gold hot pants mid squat thrust?

Caporegime
OP
I'm certainly glad if wasn't launched. It would have smashed to pieces.

But had I could see some might have an issue. It's fine for me. Like said, if I didn't want this I could padlock the gate.

I do think it's a tad risky from the couriers point of view. Who knows what's behind that gate.

Caporegime
OP
Is birth control that expensive there?

This conundrum can be avoided entirely.

t7d1jqF.jpg

Back
Top Bottom