• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Advice

Soldato
I've been holding off what to do whilst the whole Ryzen thing settled down, but it's about time I made a decision.

I have a GTX 1080ti coming (eventually, hopefully) and currently have an i3-4170 as a stop gap whilst I decided what to do, board is a Z97.

Ideally I'd like to keep this upgrade as cheap as possible but if the gaming performance is going to be so massive then I'd consider spending the cash on a new set up.

Is the 4790k a no brainer? Generally the machine is used for browsing and gaming at 4k, I don't skype, stream, have 35 tabs open or any of that stuff, it's literally either browsing with a couple of tabs open or gaming, the end.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
I don't think there's much value in my kit, used boards and a bit of RAM won't make much of a dent in the nye on £500 for a new Ryzen set up.

I have to weigh up the cost of new CPU, board and RAM against what my needs are, I'm not sure I need anything more than 4c/8t as I only game and I can't see the needs for many cores being soon judging by the spec of your average gamer still barely running 1080p at 60hz or thereabouts.

It won't be a stop gap, I'm not much of a chop and change person, I fit and forget, so unless something dies or something new comes out that completely changes the game I'm likely to leave it alone.

Out of interest, given the news about Coffee Lake and Skylake X being bought forward, how badly gimped will I be running the 1080ti on the i3 until they are released?

Soldato
OP
4790ks go quick in the MM! I've seen three go within about 30 minutes of the for sale post going up!

The only reason I mentioned Coffee/Sky X was because they aren't out yet which gives me time to replenish the PC fund, where as if I were to buy now in time for the 1080ti coming then I'd probably be restricted to just a Haswell swap. Suppose it depends on:

A) how good Coffee/Sky X is, and how it's priced with AMD in mind,

B) how badly gimped I'd be running the 1080ti on an i3 for the summer.

Soldato
OP
He has a point , pretty silly to buy a 1080 ti now.

Why? I could find a 4790k and install it before the 1080ti even arrives at this rate, I've been waiting ages for it.

Aside from that judging how the pound is likely to go once the country fully commits to financial suicide, I can't see them going down much unless Nv decide to slash the prices if Vega is any good.

Soldato
OP
Back on the real topic, you have said your fund for PC parts doesn't cover a full upgrade presently, so it's either get an i7-47xx(K) second hand if possible, or put up with your £800 or whatever insane price GTX 1080 TI you bought being crippled by an i3, and hoping that Nvidia don't make your investment worth 25-35% less in a few weeks, probably days after you received it. :)

Well they haven't done it recently so I'm not too worried that my 1080ti will drop £200 overnight, especially in the current climate. The only recent drop has been to the 1080/70 and that was to accommodate the Ti.

Seems like the 4790k is the wise choice at present, dropping £500 on Ryzen is a bit daft and waiting for Coffee Lake doesn't seem to make much sense, thanks for all the input!!

Back
Top Bottom