CPU and Motherboard Change

Associate
Hello everyone. New here so I apologize If this post is in the wrong section.

I am looking to upgrade my CPU and motherboard for the current system:
  • Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
  • ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
  • 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
  • GTX 1070
  • CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
  • CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
  • Windows 10 Pro
I have two HDD's and three SSD's (one being the boot drive) as well.

Since I have a bit of spare money I was going to add the following to the system:
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
  • Gigabyte X570 GAMING X ATX motherboard
  • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit
  • Wraith Prism RGB Cooler
This upgrade is for some future proofing for gaming and to significantly boost performance for applications like AutoCAD, Revit, 3DS Max, and Photoshop.

First I would like to ask if there is anything obviously wrong with this upgrade that I have missed ?
Only issue I was worried about was the new motherboard fitting the case but they are both ATX.

Second. When I reassemble the PC with the new components do I need to boot windows fresh to properly set up all the drivers ? Such as booting from a USB with a fresh version of windows and then changing back to the original SSD next time I boot.

Here are the links for what I intended to get :

*** Competitor info removed ***

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get a Ryzen system only because it gives you an upgrade path for the CPU later if you feel the need. That case is big enough to not have to worry about anything fitting. Ram would be better if you got 3600MHz(C15 or 16) as you can run the IF(Infinity Fabric) at up to 3700MHz 1:1 with the Ryzen 3K processors - it gives a good performance boost.

A fresh install would be better than migrating an install, I know it's a lot of extra hassle but it's worth it in the end. Widnows 10 can migrate fine, up to you what you chose to do.

I would get another cooler for the Ryzen system over the combined wraith prism, even the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO or Arctic Freezer 34 would be much better than standard.

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the post. I decided on a clean install of windows. Funny you mention the Artic Freezer 34 because I added that to my order at the last minute since I heard the stock cooler can be loud.
I ordered Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3600 MHz RAM however I noticed once my order was processed that it was C18. I am not to bothered with this since its mostly for gaming anyway and the performance difference on the other applications should still be great .

Consider 32gb of RAM.

Consider a PCIe 4.0 NVME drive.

I could not really justify 32GB because of my budget and the projects/renders I run being fairly low scale.

I already have 2 HDD's and 3 SSD's in the system so I really cant justify a NVME drive right now. Thanks for the post though.

Back
Top Bottom