• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU at 70 degrees c on startup

Associate
Hi, I have recently got a new CPU (5800x) on my MSI B450 motherboard. I have it updated to the latest BIOS ( however it is a beta bios) and I definitely have sufficient cooling on it. The CPU Is only at 5-10% and will be at 70 degrees, does anyone know why this is? Thanks

Associate
Hi, I have recently got a new CPU (5800x) on my MSI B450 motherboard. I have it updated to the latest BIOS ( however it is a beta bios) and I definitely have sufficient cooling on it. The CPU Is only at 5-10% and will be at 70 degrees, does anyone know why this is? Thanks

Have the same with a 5950x, it is pretty normal as @Bug One said when you are starting windows the chip is boosting as things load. Settles down after a minute or two.

Soldato
If it's at 70 degrees after you've been on the desktop for 30s - your cooler is not working or you've overvolted the CPU in a big way. (or the software you're using to record the temperature is incorrect)

Associate
If it's at 70 degrees after you've been on the desktop for 30s
.. and you are getting 5-10% cpu load, you have misbehaving background apps, RGB or Epic store or the likes
Yes, 5800X will boost agressively. No, normal temps for IDLE are 40 and below. But if your cpu is not idle, not its fault.

Associate
Look around some more on these forums, you will find other threads with people reporting the same thing - don't listen to the people telling you it's a fault.

I've got a 5950X and observe similar things, with a 360 AIO cooler. After finishing building the system I was so surprised at the temperature I thought the cooler must not be making good contact, I even took it off to check and put it back.

The issue is with the design of these chips - when they are not truly idle but lightly loaded, they use a high voltage to boost 1-2 CPU cores high for maximum performance. As more cores are loaded, the voltage drops too. I did some testing with Cinebench and the single and multi-core benchmarks, and found mine actually runs hotter with a single core fully loaded than with all cores loaded.

As alec said though, 5-10% CPU use at idle is not normal - check your system carefully, find what's using CPU time at idle and fix it. In my case, I found MSI Afterburner had started monitoring and graphing all 32 cores for use, temperature etc.. and was using a few %, as was the Epic Games Launcher. Once I sorted those out and got it truly idle at idle - like 0-1% CPU use - the temp at idle is about 40-41c. I could get it lower but have the fans on the cooler at low speed when the coolant temperature is low, I like it quiet.

Back
Top Bottom