Cpu extreme high temp :( i9 9900k

Associate
Hi guys,
I am having trouble overclocking my i9 9900k. I also have an aorus ultra mobo and nh-d15 cooler.
No matter what I do my cpu is either unstable and any test crashes or the temps gets above 90 in a matter of seconds in realbench for ex. The cinebench r15 is the only stress test I can pass.
Is it a bad cpu? Or it can be smthn else.

Soldato
What clock speed? What voltage? What settings for adaptive voltage?

Try offering more information about what you're doing, what you have tried, etc. Have you had a stable clock speed and you can't bring it to the next multiplier up?

Start with your specs including memory and all overclock/memory adjustments.

Associate
OP
What clock speed? What voltage? What settings for adaptive voltage?

Try offering more information about what you're doing, what you have tried, etc. Have you had a stable clock speed and you can't bring it to the next multiplier up?

Start with your specs including memory and all overclock/memory adjustments.
Proc: i9 9900k
Mobo: z390 aorus ultra
Ram: corsair vengeance pro rgb 32gb 3200
Cooler: nh-d15

Clock ratio 50, avx auto (no chance with any avx setting but this), enhanced multi core perf DISABLED, cpu vcore 1.32v,
Vcore loadline turbo, C states disabled.

From here I only changed the voltage but what is under 1.32 in not stable and what is above ..like I said..temps go crazy. Like 90-95c in 15 seconds in aida.

Soldato
What exactly are you doing when you run into problems?

If you're trying to run a Prime 95 torture test or some extreme synthetic benchmark you'll probably run into issues. If all you do is game tests like that aren't realistic for your usage, in fact they probably aren't even with most productivity work.

It's also worth making sure the HSF is mounted properly and you've applied enough thermal paste as mentioned by @Vince. Additionally, how is the airflow in your case? What are your ambient temperatures?

Man of Honour

If you're trying to run a Prime 95 torture test or some extreme synthetic benchmark you'll probably run into issues. If all you do is game tests like that aren't realistic for your usage, in fact they probably aren't even with most productivity work.

It's also worth making sure the HSF is mounted properly and you've applied enough thermal paste as mentioned by @Vince.

You would imagine that a noctua d15 would be able to keep it under 90 @ 1.32 running non AVX wouldn't you? I mean I don't and have never owned a 9900k but that seems toasty!!

Soldato
You would imagine that a noctua d15 would be able to keep it under 90 @ 1.32 running non AVX wouldn't you? I mean I don't and have never owned a 9900k but that seems toasty!!

I've heard from a few people that the D15 struggles to keep an OC'd 9900K under control funnily enough, but usually it's when people are using insane synthetic tests that really aren't realistic to their workloads.

It's one of the few cases where a decent AiO might actually be better than high end air, and trust me I'm a big advocate of high end air over CLC's etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

It's also worth making sure the HSF is mounted properly and you've applied enough thermal paste as mentioned by @Vince. Additionally, how is the airflow in your case? What are your ambient temperatures?
I use realbench (heard is more closed to reality) but also in aida64 I get those temps. It is true that I am havin NO issues in games, but I see people getting their i9 stable WITH avx 0 and temps under 85 and I assume smthn is wrong with my system.
Where can I check the ambient temp? In bios it says: system temp 32.
the case is a nzxt h510i. Not the best airflow, i guess

Man of Honour
I've heard from a few people that the D15 struggles to keep a 9900K under control funnily enough, but usually it's when people are using insane synthetic tests that really aren't realistic to their workloads.

It's one of the few cases where a decent AiO might actually be better than high end air, and trust me I'm a big advocate of high end air over CLC's etc.

That's the thing and I guess it's why people say that to cool the beast you need to spend some money, especially if you want that 5ghz goodness. Personally I have decent airflow and a 180w tdp chip with a h100i v2. TBH it's done a superb job of keeping the thing under control.

Soldato
I use realbench (heard is more closed to reality) but also in aida64 I get those temps. It is true that I am havin NO issues in games, but I see people getting their i9 stable WITH avx 0 and temps under 85 and I assume smthn is wrong with my system

What case/fan setup do you have?

What are your ambients?

If all you do is game and your temps/stability are fine when you game I wouldn't be massively concerned personally.

That's the thing and I guess it's why people say that to cool the beast you need to spend some money, especially if you want that 5ghz goodness. Personally I have decent airflow and a 180w tdp chip with a h100i v2. TBH it's done a superb job of keeping the thing under control.

I can well imagine, it really is one of those niche things, unfortunately some people get bitten due to that.

It's one of the reasons I'd personally not opt for a 9900K over the likes of a 3700X, but ultimately the 9900K is still the best 'gaming' chip and there are applications out there for productivity that make use of Intel specific features. The joys of computing!

Associate
OP
On youtube many are using this cooler with i9 and seems ok. The cooler only gets worm (not hot) only when the temp is above 95c. It is very big and it spreads the head fast, BUT the i9 is getting hot inside, the heat never reachs the ihs so that the cooler can disipate it. ...that s from what I heard anyway

Associate
OP
I've heard from a few people that the D15 struggles to keep an OC'd 9900K under control funnily enough, but usually it's when people are using insane synthetic tests that really aren't realistic to their workloads.

I will try a kraken x62 tomorrow and see if there are any changes. Many people on utube manage to keep the cpu under 75 with this cooler, but sure..who knows what golden cpu they might have. I do have the delidding option it only costs 30€ and I heard it can lower temps

Man of Honour
On youtube many are using this cooler with i9 and seems ok. The cooler only gets worm (not hot) only when the temp is above 95c. It is very big and it spreads the head fast, BUT the i9 is getting hot inside, the heat never reachs the ihs so that the cooler can disipate it. ...that s from what I heard anyway

It's all about the delid with the K isn't it? I take it you are not up for doing that and getting busy with the liquid metal? My Intel game is weak :( last intel chip I had was a q6600. I prioritise workstation and VM over gaming so my rig is focused there but games well enough for me to be happy.

Problem is, if it is bad contact between the ihs and core then it doesn't matter that much what you are throwing at it, a lemon is a lemon, if the heat isn't getting from the Core to the IHS and then to the cooler it's always going to be hot. I guess that is why the market was all about the delided and binned chips.

Associate
OP
It's all about the delid with the K isn't it? I take it you are not up for doing that and getting busy with the liquid metal? My Intel game is weak :( last intel chip I had was a q6600. I prioritise workstation and VM over gaming so my rig is focused there but games well enough for me to be happy.

Problem is, if it is bad contact between the ihs and core then it doesn't matter that much what you are throwing at it, a lemon is a lemon, if the heat isn't getting from the Core to the IHS and then to the cooler it's always going to be hot. I guess that is why the market was all about the delided and binned chips.
I also have the option of returning it to the store and get another one, but I was hoping to get in touch with someone that has the same cpu and tell me how are his temps.
I know i9 is hot but I donno how hot so I can t tell if mine is bad or..it s normal.
I know it is syn test and no game will ever do that to the cpu but I am worried that even so..95c and rising (no overclocking) is too high

Soldato
Surely the 9900K is soldered though, are there actually issues with heat transfer from core to IHS despite this?

Shocking quality control given how much the chips cost if that is the case.

Soldato

I'm inclined to agree.

If you (OP) can replace the chip you have for another I would do so before considering a delid option, as you'll lose your warranty.

It would help to know your ambient temperatures though, you still haven't answered in regard to them.

Scratch the above, sorry I missed your earlier response. You said 32c, right? That's a little high but it isn't gigantic really. What sort of fan setup do you have in your case, and which case are you using exactly?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm inclined to agree.

If you (OP) can replace the chip you have for another I would do so before considering a delid option, as you'll lose your warranty.

It would help to know your ambient temperatures though, you still haven't answered in regard to them.
I did ..35-38 but I m not sure i am looking in the right place. Bios - system temp. Is that ok? I don t think that is so important in my case. In aida64 stress test, the temp gets to 95 in seconds..so...don t think the ambient temp matters in that regard, i could be wrong though.
I won t loose the warranty (the guy assured me) it is impossible to tell it was delided. At least that s what he said

Soldato
I did ..35-38 but I m not sure i am looking in the right place. Bios - system temp. Is that ok?
I won t loose the warranty (the guy assured me) it is impossible to tell it was delided. At least that s what he said

If you sent a de-lidded chip back to Intel should it die I'd be very surprised if they were unaware, and I'd be even more surprised if it didn't negatively effect your warranty.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490Tn6SAE/official-stance-on-delid?language=en_US

Official response from an Intel rep on the subject of delidding.

I'd not take the chance personally.

Read my above response though, I edited it after glancing back over the thread.

To reiterate:

Scratch the above, sorry I missed your earlier response. You said 32c, right? That's a little high but it isn't gigantic really. What sort of fan setup do you have in your case, and which case are you using exactly?

Back
Top Bottom