CPU Fan + Thermalright XP-120 (Push or Pull)

Associate
hi guys,

Ive got a Thermalright XP-120 with an Akasa Amber 120mm fan. My mobo is the AR32-MVP.

I was wondering if anyone was using the fan to suck air off the HS or blow air down? I've tried doing both and recording temps but I'm not getting reliable numbers!

Associate
I would say push because air being pulled would have been closer to the mobo which may be giving off some heat, whereas push wouldnt. However i doubt it would make any difference at all tbh, however i know that the fan pulling air through my rad is slightly quieter than when it is set to push.

Alex

Associate
I think it depends on how you have the rest of your system setup.
If for example you have a rear case fan which is exhaust then that will help to get rid of the air your amber is pulling off the cpu. If you had your amber set to blow then it would probably fight the rear fan.

I like lots of fans running slow :) My micro case has 2 slow running 120mm ambers pushing air in, along with plenty of zalman component cooling.

Soldato
All retail heatsinks push air through the fins rather than pulling it out (well I haven't found one that doesn't anyway). I would, therefore, assume that this is probably more efficient.

Soldato
AFAIK the only time the fan should pull air is through shrouded HS. Ive got exactly the same setup and the big fan cools the memory as well.

Back
Top Bottom