CPU or Motherboard

Associate
Been using a PC for 2 years now until yesterday. For the first turn on of the day, No power whatsoever. No PSU fan, no LEDS, dead !!!
So i took the PSU to work, and that worked fine.
Once i got home, still no joy so I disconnected everything apart from the essentials. No joy still.
Tested the front switch connection, nothing
I took the fan off of the CPU and removed a nice blanket of collected dust, so wondered, couple with this heat if the CPU fried ?
I have also read that the motherboard could be at fault as well. Is ther e any way I can tell if it is the motherboard or CPU ?

Associate
OP
This might be a silly question, but if there is no power and the CMOS battery is out, what is the point of putting the CMOS jumper to clear for 5 mins, to then put it back before any power up ?
Just wanting to know, curious ?

Also, if the CPU was dead, would the motherboard beep and the PSU show some activity or if the CPU is dead, everything is dead ?

Associate
OP
Thanks Joe, that is the info I have been hunting for all day on google. Came up with lots of posh configuring and stories but not a basic answer.

Right, off to get a new motherboard

Associate
OP
Took the battery out, did the clear CMOS jumper and disconnected the power. Left for 5 min then reatteched everything. Dead.
Ordered a new motherboard. :(

Back
Top Bottom