cpu-z reporting odd values for geil ddr2 6400

Associate
I'm using cpu-z v1.37 as one of the tools to OC/bench my new rig, but it's un-nerving me somwhat. For a start it reckons my Geil DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Dual Channel sticks are PC5300 (yet every label on them says otherwise, i'm assuming just a naming issue inside the chip or something), altho they happily run at 900 so that's not the greatest concern, but it also says the Channels is 'Single'. Shouldn't this be Dual? Am i missing something in the BIOS maybe? Everything else is working ok but this is worrying me

Permabanned
the memory needs to be in the correct slots to work in dual channel.

check your mobo manual, although its normally same coloured slots that are the dual channel ones

Associate
OP
oh i thought it was the ones right next to each other? interesting. i will double check, thanks sir

-post-check edit-
right ok so if my mobo is listing the two on the left as channel a0 and a1, and the two on the right as b0 and b1, instead of habing both sticks in a0 and a1, i.e. a single channel, i want one in a0 and one in b0. using two channels. dual channel. makes sense when you think about it, d'oh!

you reckon this will increase memory bandwidth? can't wait to get into sandra and find out

Last edited:
Associate
Tetsujin said:
I'm using cpu-z v1.37 as one of the tools to OC/bench my new rig, but it's un-nerving me somwhat. For a start it reckons my Geil DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Dual Channel sticks are PC5300 (yet every label on them says otherwise, i'm assuming just a naming issue inside the chip or something), altho they happily run at 900 so that's not the greatest concern, but it also says the Channels is 'Single'. Shouldn't this be Dual? Am i missing something in the BIOS maybe? Everything else is working ok but this is worrying me

The SPD values on these are programmed to 667 / 5300, for compatability reasons (as noted on the bit of card in the box). To get them to run at 800 / 6400 you need to manually set your motherboards FSB:Mem ratio to the appropriate setting to force them to run at their rated 400/800MHz (PC6400) speed.

So, ignore what it says in the SPD tab of CPUZ and concentrate on making it say 400Mhz frequency in the Memory tab.

Back
Top Bottom