• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

crazy pbo on 9700x , MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI

Associate
Hi , trying to set my system to limit power to be used as a server , but with auto and all default pbo with proxmox with a windows 10 vm and 12 cores the wattage goes from 55-60 idle to 180 Watts on a 240mm aio , to me this is way too high for default all auto but ram speed .
try the Curve Optimizer -40mv which make it run at 65c , 180 + Watts .
also instead of pushing the 12 cores to the max , I put a 50% load all it does is up the clocks and run at 180 Watts from the wall.

Last edited:
Set ECO mode, think MSI has ECO 45, 65, 90, 105. I would try 45 and 65, 65 will probably be the best depending on the loads you run. it will never go > 90W and single thread performance will be full speed.

Set ECO mode, think MSI has ECO 45, 65, 90, 105. I would try 45 and 65, 65 will probably be the best depending on the loads you run. it will never go > 90W and single thread performance will be full speed.
better , setting it to 45 Watts is now pulling about 114 Watts from the wall which is about 60 Watts more than idle ,
and my cooler looks to be keeping it at 50c

Last edited:
There are guides out there on getting Ryzen 7000/9000 idle down and how to configure the BIOS. With previous Ryzen CPUs having XMP enabled was almost always an idle power hug, so I'd try disabling that.

I will try that I'm on a EXPO 6000 ram which defaults to 4800 without EXPO , so if that is true I may have to a low power profile and let's go wild profile.
10 Watts 24 hour a day on under 15% cpu is a lot .

I will try that I'm on a EXPO 6000 ram which defaults to 4800 without EXPO , so if that is true I may have to a low power profile and let's go wild profile.
10 Watts 24 hour a day on under 15% cpu is a lot .
I have had my 7950x idle down to ~14-20W but needed to use windows power saver (power profile). The Intel NIC on ASUS boards does not work(for me) when using windows power saver, it disappears from the system randomly. I also disable the iGPU.

I've knocked the expo off , 45 Watts tdp , set a curve in pbo of -30 , set a - in Max CPU Boost Clock Override, now the total idle is 45 Watts and with a 3% load about 55 Watts with no big spikes from the wattage where before it would keep jumping 70 , 90 , 80 , 60 with small loads.
with about 10% drop in performance at 110 Watts.
" I also disable the iGPU. " that one thing I've not considered , I'm using a part of the igpu with the vm.

Last edited:
playing about after, I've found don't fully load 12 cores , if you are going to fully load cores do the lot , I changed my vm setting to use all 16 cores and I gain 33% more performance with the same wattage.
but want to still lower the idle wattage a little more , but 55 Watts will have to do for now , thinking of using Ryzen master on Windows to test my setting before I lock them in bios for Linux.
also I'm not sure how much the fans in the aio and two case fan are a part of that total idle 45 Watts .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom