Crazy running-in recommendations for new bike

Soldato
According to the manual, I cannot exceed 6,000 RPM for the first 1,000 KMs. Then from 1,000KMs to 2,500 KMs I cannot exceed 7,000 RPM. The bike revs to 12,000.

During the whole running-in period, the maintenance and service rules recommended in the Warranty Card should be observed carefully. Failure to follow these instructions releases Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A from any liability whatsoever for any engine damage or shorter engine life.

I've probably gone slightly over 6,000 but only marginally. Due it's first service, no doubt the telemetry will be recorded.

Is this reasonable? Not sure what run-in mileage is like for other bikes.

It's taken me 6 months to notch up 800 KMs! Still, that has been due to bad weather.

Soldato
OP
It's the warranty bit that bothers me (especially as it's a Ducati and I'll probably need that at some point!). Or am I reading that bit wrong? Based on current usage it will be about 3 years before I can rag it! :o:eek:

Soldato
OP
I spoke to my Ducati dealer this morning as I've missed the 6 month service date by a couple of weeks. Although, despite the service card stating 6 months or 1,000 KM (whichever comes first) the dealer said just do the 1K then bring it in. I asked about the running-in and he re-affirmed the importance of keeping it below 6,000 RPM for the first 1,000KM but I can be flexible between 1,000KM and 2,500KM. I.e. I won't have to ride it like Miss Daisy and keeping it below the recommended 7,000 RPM.

Said something about the engine components having to bed-in, and something about seals. I really should pay more attention.

Soldato
OP
Ducati have an excellent reliability record these days.
Good to know. The amount of times (pretty much every time really) I get 'Ducati eh, will spend more time in the garage' etc etc.
By the way I always let it run for a few mins after starting it. I usually wait for the temp to change from the word 'Low' to actually registering a temp which is usually in the 40s. 40 what though I have no idea sitting here. Would have to check to see if F or C.

Never do motorways (rarely A roads). As it's a weekend bike it's nearly always twisty countryside routes.

Soldato
OP
“Take it easy on new tyres and let the bike warm up first”, are the exact words that the dealer told me when I picked up my new bike.

Exactly that. Thing is, since being told I’m like Rainman when I first start it up, mentally reciting what the dealer had told me and not daring to deviate.

Where the rev limit is concerned, the manual hints telemetry is recorded and they will know if I’ve gone over which will (not might, will!) void the warranty on the engine.

Sources online say for the first 1KM the redline occurs at 6 but I’ve never seen it light up.

Anyway. From today I’m going to be a little more adventurous. On the bike, of course. Sod it.

Back
Top Bottom