AMD Athlon 64 3700
200gb Maxtor SATA HD
2 x 1gb Crucial DDR
X800GT 256mb Graphics
Asus A8N-E mobo

Cant remember the specs properly

It is the first pc i have built, an these errors are the only problems i've had

I can hardly download any rar, zip or exe, without getting crc errors

Anyone know what it could be, any ways to fix it ?

Thanks

Associate
What is the exact error message that you get? Does the machine become unresponsive afterwards?

For your information, CRC stands for Cyclic Redundancy Check and is a method of verifying that data being transferred or stored has not been corrupted. As the data sent a CRC code is generated and appended to the data. The receiving end computes the CRC code from the data and verifies that it matches the one appended by the sender.

There are two main uses of this type of check in PC's. The main one is for storing data on your hard disk. When data is written to the disk a CRC code is generated and stored with the data. This is done at the sector level. The hard disk will verify that the data written has been stored correctly by attempting to read back the data after it is written. If the CRC code generated on read back does not match that stored on writing then it is a very god indication that the data was corrupted somehow. CRC checks are also performed on each subsequent read operation.

The second use in most PC's is for network communication (ethernet or modem use). A CRC code is generated for each data packet sent and verified at the receiving end.

You say that the errors occur whilst downloading. Do they also occur if you try to copy a large directory from and to the same hard disk? If not, it sounds like a networking error. If they do occur when copying internally then it sounds like a hard disk error.

Hope this helps,

Martin

Associate
OP
Thanks for that

It looks like it could be a network problem then

Think i'll change all the cable etc

Might even buy a network card to use instead of the one on the motherboard

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom