Credit Card Fraud

Soldato
I have been with my credit card provider (major name in banking) for a loooong time and have had very few issues. I got a text message from them on Saturday morning (early hours) asking me to confirm some transactions. Most of them were fine but one was definitely not me. I called them and confirmed the suspicious transaction was not me and they blocked that card and said they would issue a new one. OK, no problem.

This morning (even earlier hours) I received yet another text from them with another suspicious transaction (this one had been declined), this time on the card with the new number according to the text. So I called them again and they have said that they will, once again, block that card and send me another new one.

I asked them how somebody could have used my new card when I don't even know the number (only the last 4 digits show in my account and I haven't received the card yet) and the woman I was speaking to said "it gets automatically updated". I asked how that was possible as, from every website I have ever purchased from, I always have to manually enter my new card details when the old one expires. She was adamant that it was automatic. I have to admit to getting a little irritated with her at this point and raising my voice (for which I apologised at the end of the call) because I cannot see how that is possible, and she just kept repeating the same thing "it's automatic".

Has anyone else ever come across this?

Soldato
OP
Thanks all.

Just a few days ago.

I guess I should have searched but didn't think this was going to be a common thing. Mine's Barclaycard too and exactly the same Facebook/Meta charges. I did tell the first woman that I don't use social media - the closest I get is buying games for my Quest 3, and I only have a Meta account, not Facebook.

I guess I may have to look for another credit card provider if this keeps happening as I don't have a backup.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's always worth having a backup card on a different account specifically because of fraud, it's also why I do have credit cards and only ever use my debit card online to pay my credit card (although these days I do that in the banking app).
Thanks. I did have a backup card for a few years but ended up cancelling it after receiving some very poor customer service. I've had a few offers of cards from companies I deal with so may take one of them up on it, just for a backup.
If it's an American card provider it's because the card number will just update the last number sequentially until it reaches 9. So a fraudster can just guess the next one if they think it's been blocked.
It's Barclaycard. The last digit wasn't next sequentially and the entire last 4 digits were completely different so they'd have been guessing a few thousand numbers until they got there so I'm guessing it's not that in this instance. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom