Critique my workout please

Associate
Hi Chaps,

So I'm on a bit of a mission to lose the flab I've gained over the years. Previously I was a frequent gym goer and my instructor put together a program for me to include lots of cardio and a bit of weights (5 sets of 7-8 reps). My weight fluctuated but I never really trimmed down a lot.

Since then I got a new job and have a company membership to a gym just around the corner, and as I like nothing more than an empty gym I go during my lunch our 4 days a week, with the occasional trip over the weekend.

This time however I've changed my workout routine. The focus is now to both build muscle mass and trim the flab. Previously I was never that interested in weights. My current workout has been put together that's 50/50 weights/cardio. With the weights at 3 sets of 5 reps (higher weight).

I've been doing this for a few weeks now and I've put on weight since I begun. However, I can tell my arms/chest are bigger, the gut is going and my clothes are becoming looser.

Now, I know that muscle is more dense than fat, but the scales are discouraging me a little. Should I not bother with them at all and just focus on the mirror?

usual workout consists of

20mins cardio
resistance machines
free weights
core exercises

I'm guessing the theory is that if I increase my muscle mass my body will require more energy to function, so my basal metabolic rate will increase. This coupled with a decent diet should mean that my body fat will decrease. What I don't want to happen is to "tone over" what I already have. Is my theory correct?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom