Critique this website.

Stuck it though a meta tag analyzer and got this

Meta tags analysis.
Title:
Found no title.
The title is used by most of the search engines. Consider adding a title.

Description:
Found no description meta tag.
The description meta tag is used by most of the search engines. Consider adding a description meta tag.

Keywords:
Found no keywords meta tag.
The keyword meta tag is still used by many search engines. Consider adding a keyword meta tag.

Robots:
Found no robots meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps spiders to index the web page.

Author:
Found no author meta tag.
This tag is not really required but helps for your (company) name recognition.

Meta tags are the least of his problems, especially as half of them are no longer used for SEO.

Coding wise it's a complete mess. You've got two doctype tags, you're using flash when there's no need to, and there's inline javascript (dreamweaver rubbish) and CSS.

As for the design, the logo is too big, the "Welcome" header is FAR too big and it's animated for some obscure reason, the navigation menu isn't too bad, although it should really be using CSS3 for those effects rather than rollovers.

The typeface is rubbish and too large and it varies throughout the site and there's not enough information about the actual restaurant.

Meta tags are the least of his problems, especially as half of them are no longer used for SEO.

Coding wise it's a complete mess. You've got two doctype tags, you're using flash when there's no need to, and there's inline javascript (dreamweaver rubbish) and CSS.

As for the design, the logo is too big, the "Welcome" header is FAR too big and it's animated for some obscure reason, the navigation menu isn't too bad, although it should really be using CSS3 for those effects rather than rollovers.

The typeface is rubbish and too large and it varies throughout the site and there's not enough information about the actual restaurant.

- Doctype has been sorted and removed so there's only one.

- Why should I not use flash? What's he alternative?

- What's up with the code that DW puts in and CSS? (considering its done in DW).

- Logo and welcome will be shrunk to make it look better. (Is animated to give the Portuguese/English version. How can I incorporate css3 when ive used css? Will roll-over image not do for it?

- I will sort out the typeface and add more information later today.

Thanks for your feedback, im still in the throws of learning how to design websites properly which is why its much appreciated and I can learn from it!

Edit: Changed have been made, tell me what you think.
Title animations will be re-done to remove the jagged edges later once im happy with layout etc.

Last edited:
Why is that header at the top done in Flash?

Just make it a simple animated gif. That way anyone without flash installed can still view it. Also as already stated the jaggy text in it looks horrible.

Also centre the content instead of having it over on the left-hand side.

Contact tel, address, and opening hours should also be incorporated into header.

I wouldn't animate header. If you must have something in the header, use some photography/imagery there too.

Employ some good looking models (men/women/families), and create some ambience with lighting, then take some very good photos of people enjoying food. This will vastly increase website conversion rate.

Failing that, take some more photos when restaurant is busy. Empty photos make it look like people avoid the place.

Special offer needs to be towards top of page where people will see it.

Add voucher code to website (towards top) offering small discount to people quoting the code.

Thanks for all the feedback! Ill start addressing the issues now. Ill get rid of the top flash and just use the image instead, saves apple users not getting the full site.

Photos of the outside of the premises will be acquired when I next go there for the website.

I think ill keep the menu page because it doesn't seem that hard to operate (gave it to my dad and mum to use and they managed without any instruction).

SEO will be sorted too.

How would I do a slideshow images in JS like I have in there then? Never used JS before only html and CSS so not much of an idea on that.

thanks again!

On my phone (using opera) the text on the main page overlaps the slideshow if I zoom in...
Also the opening hours overlap the bar hours on the contact page. I'd normally have a shot at figuring out why but like I said I'm on my phone :p

On my phone (using opera) the text on the main page overlaps the slideshow if I zoom in...
Also the opening hours overlap the bar hours on the contact page. I'd normally have a shot at figuring out why but like I said I'm on my phone :p

What phone are you using?

Its good to get a mixture of browsers and phone screen sizes so I can make it work on as many as possible.

edit: changes have been made. See what you think and anything else to do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom