• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Crossfire two graphics cards - newbie help !

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of crossfiring 2 AMD R9 290's I have. I was wondering apart from the actual graphics cards are there any other hardware items I'm gonna need.

My motherboard is Gigabyte G1 Sinper Z87 which I think is capable of crossfire and I have 8Gb of Ram.

RJC

RJC

Don
Nope, install the 2nd card and crossfire bridge and hopefully the CCC will see the 2nd card load the drivers and enable crossfire.

Associate
Nope, install the 2nd card and crossfire bridge and hopefully the CCC will see the 2nd card load the drivers and enable crossfire.

You do not need the xfire bridge any more it is all done over the PCIE Slot.

Your good to go providing you have a good quality psu, preferably 800w or above. No bridge needed with 200 series cards.

750w Gold/Plat would be fine.

Caporegime
Yep, does look kinda weird when you see it and no bridge there. 750w gold/platinum should be ok as long as your not pushing heavy overclocks with increased voltages on the cards.

Associate
@RJC

Sorry to go extremely off topic here but seeing as you are a Forum Staff Member is there anyway for you to contact the admins? I sent two emails a week and a half ago with no reply. (was regarding a name change)

RJC

RJC

Don
@RJC

Sorry to go extremely off topic here but seeing as you are a Forum Staff Member is there anyway for you to contact the admins? I sent two emails a week and a half ago with no reply. (was regarding a name change)

No probs, I will put a note in with a link to your post :)

Edit: done, but it might take a day or two :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
for psu I've got a silverstone 1200w gold - possibly overkill :)

So just to confirm I just stick in the second card with no bridge right ?

Also I have 8GB of ram is this good enough or is ram not a factor ?

Soldato
I have an OCZ 780W PSU with an 290 and when I tried crossfiring with another 290 the computer rebooted when I tried the Firestrike Benchmark due to lack of power. (Error came directly from POST) So I suggest an 800w minimum.

Also nothing in my computer is overclocked.

Associate
OP
I have an OCZ 780W PSU with an 290 and when I tried crossfiring with another 290 the computer rebooted when I tried the Firestrike Benchmark due to lack of power. (Error came directly from POST) So I suggest an 800w minimum.

Also nothing in my computer is overclocked.

I got a 1200w gold silverstone although I would think a 780w should work with dual 290 but i guess it depends on power usage of the other parts too.

Not planning on doing any overclocking either m8 !

Associate
OP
also guys, what about the monitor. I have a 24inch dell ips and am currently using the display port connection with the 290 on the PCI-e 16 slot. Will this all stay the same or will I have to mess around with the second card's video output ?

Back
Top Bottom