CrossFit

Associate
anyone into CrossFit? I’ve been avoiding gyms all my life, until I went to a CrossFit class with my partner and now im Hooked!

Went to the CrossFit games this year to watch the pros and was blown away!

Now I’m going twice a week!

Anyone also go? What are your thoughts?

Soldato
Yep, have done for years although tapering it back a little lately as focussing more on strength and Oly lifts as I get older. Still enter the open every year though and do ok for an old man with a temperamental knee!

Soldato
Yeah - done it for about 5/6 years now. Getting old so everything hurts a little more. :D Member of a massive crossfit gym, ridiculous amount of equipment, a whole 2nd industrial unit full of weights machines/cardio/thai boxing etc. Ridiculous amount of stuff in our place. Enjoy the social side of things, met loads of great people/friends/golfing buddies now.

Working from home on my own the gym/crossfit has been a god send for me having some "outside time"

Used to be very focused on lifting big/heavy numbers but now just enjoy trying to stay fit.

Got a Bike ERG at home and currently decided to do 10km a day, every day, and go 5 seconds quicker each day till failure.... Will see how far I get.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably the best all in one you can do. Have done a variety of focused workouts, strength, cardio, climbing, etc. but CrossFit has been the most rewarding, and probably the best option long term since mobility is one of those things that can really catch you out as you get older.

Associate
OP
Ah class that others are doing it here, it’s getting addictive that’s for sure, was working on snatches last night, first time I’ve ever done them and enjoyed it! Only doing 30KG snatches but getting the movement right first

I love the social side of it too, made loads of new friends and people to train with, since stopping rugby I’ve struggled to find something to keep me active and fit

Was lucky enough to meet some of the athletes at the games and they are great people and have time for you which is rare in professional sport I find

It’s helped me with golf too, I’ve played most my life but the mobility side of things have made me swing more freely which is a bonus!

Cheers

Associate
Ah class that others are doing it here, it’s getting addictive that’s for sure, was working on snatches last night, first time I’ve ever done them and enjoyed it! Only doing 30KG snatches but getting the movement right first

I love the social side of it too, made loads of new friends and people to train with, since stopping rugby I’ve struggled to find something to keep me active and fit

Was lucky enough to meet some of the athletes at the games and they are great people and have time for you which is rare in professional sport I find

It’s helped me with golf too, I’ve played most my life but the mobility side of things have made me swing more freely which is a bonus!

Cheers
Definitely take it slow. I can feel when I’m strong enough to brute force a higher weight, but that’s injury territory. Technique matters a lot, especially since people aren’t used to straining those muscles.

Associate
OP
Definitely take it slow. I can feel when I’m strong enough to brute force a higher weight, but that’s injury territory. Technique matters a lot, especially since people aren’t used to straining those muscles.
Yer totally agree, my partner is a level 2 CrossFit trainer so I’ve been doing a lot of the foundation moves without weight to get used to it, and then doing some small work outs after a session which incorporates some of the movements I’ve just worked on

Been doing it for around 3 months now and feeling good and getting stronger

Soldato

Cheers

agreed - my golf has improved a lot as well over last few years.

Did Castle Games back in 2019 as a crossfit comp - not my usual thing, but I try and do something every year that's out with my comfort zone and a crossfit comp was one of those things. Enjoyed it/hated it in equal measures!

100% the social side of my gym is massive - huge place, tons of members and a brilliant place to spend time. Coffee hut/healthy takeaway food truck in the carpark - amazing. If anyone is every up West Coast of Scotland - more than welcome to pop in for a class etc.

Associate
OP
Ah happy days! If it makes golf better it’s worth doing it haha!

Ah class my Mrs does comps, I’m not ready for that just yet!

If I’m up Scotland for work I’ll defo come for a class!

Soldato
Never ideal when the paramedics are in your crossfit class!!! :cry:

A guy missed his box jump badly and ripped his leg open.... REAL deep on his shin.... 16 stiches required!!!

Associate
Never ideal when the paramedics are in your crossfit class!!! :cry:

A guy missed his box jump badly and ripped his leg open.... REAL deep on his shin.... 16 stiches required!!!
We got new boxes the other day - feel like I need to wear body armour when I use them.

Soldato
Yeah I've got shin scars and PTSD from a tired and mistimed box jump. Rogue, Ironedge and all the big equipment makers do the softer plyo ones now which are so much better for inspiring confidence.

Back
Top Bottom