Crucial SSD and momentum cache

Associate
I have an old system and I've replaced my windows hdd with a crucical mx 500 ssd. Due to sata 2 restrictions I can't get full speed of the ssd . So I've activated the momentum cache feature. My question is that if this feature damages the ssd in the long run or causes additional write wear hence shortening lifespan. What would be your opinion? I don't get a feeling of a fast ssd . It seems like a have a drive which is a tiny bit faster than my old hdd. Should I disable the momentum cache.

My system:
Gigabyte p43 es3g mainboard, 8 gb ddr2 ram, crucial mx500 250 gb ssd, seagate st2000dm001 2 tb 7200 rpm hdd, q9300 cpu and windows 10 pro

Permabanned
AFAIK like any other artificial caching it uses you System Memory and outside benchmarks will gain you littler to no gain in real life usage.

I have not erven bothered with it on my Samsungs but did try it in the past on other drives (many years ago).

Man of Honour
I see some slight benefits from Rapid mode with my Samsung SSD. It doesn't really make huge odds though or really change the story much if you are on SATA2.

Even on SATA2 a SSD makes a pretty big difference over a HDD though.

Stuff like Momentum cache does increase the risk of data loss if you have sudden power loss other than that doesn't really have any potential negative implications.

Associate
Yes I've enabled this on my Sata 2 restricted old ASRock P45TS system on the win11 drive It runs pretty well with ddr3 anyway but mc boosts the read speed from 284mbs to 1484 & write from 272 to 1200 ish. At 39 Euros for an MX500 500gb ssd I'm enabling it even if it just helps boot & opening apps & unlike the samsung version no effect on your warranty. If you lose data on that disk in a power cut no problem as long as you clone backups regularly & all important personal docs pwords etc on another drive.... It seems like a win/win to me!

Back
Top Bottom