Crystal Reporting

Man of Honour
OP
Great, well here goes..

Do you know of anyway I can process a view at group level only?

In detail, I have a report that lists accounts by account type. For each change of account type I need to work out some statistics for those accounts but depending on the type account, it may do different things.

So I have created external SQL function on an iSeries server (which is where the data is sourced) built as a view which is defined in the database expert. I pass the view an account type code and in return it passes back a value. I've dropped the returned value from the view into the group section but Crystal seems to be reading/processing the view with each detail record read. Although this works, it takes for ever, I only the view accessed at group level.. not for each record the Crystal Report processes. It appears that as soon as i define the view in database expert, it builds an SQL work file before actual processing.

There doesn't seem to be anyway of breaking the way in working outside the database process...

Hope that makes sense.

Man of Honour
OP
yes I tried that but the sub-report appears to read through or build it's own view of the entire transaction file, regardless of the link/parameters passed. It seems to be searching for a match rather than only reading the records it needs to so takes forever.

The transaction file has over 4 Million records so you can my problem here.

What I haven't tried is running the the function in a sub report.. I'll give that a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom