CTRL stopped working

Associate
I rarely use shortcuts on my keyboard but recently I desided to press 'CTRL + TAB' while two browser windows were open, to see what would happen, and ran into a bug. The load bar in Firefox kept on 'loading' (flickering/loading fast) but the page stayed the same, and so I closed down all windows to kill this oddity. Didn't think anything of it after. Got on with my life.

Later on (about 10 minutes) I used a text editor and found every single key had turned into a one-press hotkey/shortcut for various tasks (including outside of the editor). I panicked and uninstalled+reinstalled the keyboard driver, not noticing what the old one was first, which seemed to fixed this. But obviously not for the Control key. If I press CTRL + C on a file to copy it I get a bleep. If I try and bind CTRL to the crouch function in Counter-Strike nothing gets binded at all.

Reinstalling the driver (leaving WinXP to chose one of its own) should have totally fixed what was wrong, but it has not.

Maybe a clue is that WinXP keeps on installing a "Logitch PS/2 Keyboard driver" when infact the keyboard is a black DELL, BUT it might have always used this driver for the last 12 months, with no problems. But I cant remember.

Maybe some system option somewhere is selected, that has disabled or changed the function of the ctrl key outside of the driver.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Weirdness u'pdate: Letters randojmly ty'ping not what they should[. See this sentence? I'jm just ty'ping norjmal and it's gbeing screwed u'p[. If I ty'pe slow it sojmetijmes doesn't screw u'p the letters[.#
#
Have no restore 'points gby the way[.#
#
Enter key ty'pes 'hash'd, gbut other keys are randojm[.#
#
Control key not jajmjmed.
##
No viruses.[

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom