Cube I7 Stylus

Man of Honour
Thought I would make a thread as we've completely hijacked and destroyed the other thread.

2l6seh.jpg

ettbbd.jpg

24pgq5u.jpg

dpk8as.jpg

Specs

•Display: 10.6" PLS, 1920x1080 with Wacom Stylus support*
* Surface Pro 2 panel with built-in Wacom hardware (SAMSUNG LTL106HL01-001)
•Touch: 10-point multi-touch*
* Controller: FocalTech FT5826
•CPU: Intel Core M 5Y10c
•RAM: Hynix LPDDR3 4GB*
* Hynix Dual Channel LPDDR3-1600, 2x2GB
•SSD: Foresee 64GB*
* Speeds: ~500 Read [MB/s] and ~170 Write [MB/s]
•WiFi/Bluetooth: Realtek RTL8723BU
•Cameras: 5.0 MP (rear), 2.0 MP (front)
•Battery: 7.4V x 4500mAh = 33.3Wh
* [Surface Pro 2]: 7.4V x 5676mAh = 42Wh
•Weight: 690g*
* [Surface Pro 2]: 900g
•Size: 27.4cm x 17.2cm x 10.5mm*
* [Surface Pro 2]: 27.5cm x 17.3cm x 13.5mm

hands on and first impressions

How to upgrade SSD

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well I'm really liking it. Unfortunately windows would not activate on mine. I didn't take a screen shot so can't ask for a partial refund :(, luckily I have loads of genuine window serials.

I wouldn't bother with the case, it's a poor fit and so screen edge gestures are hard.

It's a shame it has no kick stand.
It gets rather warm.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues with the WiFi antenna or bubbles in screen.

However for £200 I think it's a bargain.
And now I have w10 set up on it. I actually think w10 start screen is better than w8.1 start screen, as long as you move the taskbar to the left fir thumb action.
2r2xlbq.jpg

Last edited:
Don
I have one also. I also have the keyboard which is really rather good. The keys have a good travel and feel but the clickpad is OK at best.

The stylus I got with it is a Wacom item and works with my Note 4. The Note 4 pen works with the i7 too.

I'm on the hunt for a replacement charger as the one that comes with it is a US one with a horrible adaptor thingie. It appears that the socket is the same as that on the Acer Icona A500 tablets so I've ordered a 3rd party item that will charge one of those and will try it with the i7. It's a 3mm OD, 1mm ID, 12V, 2A, centre-positive supply.

The lower TDP BIOS is worth installing over at XDA. It keeps the temps in check for sure.

I have a 256GB SSD turning up today and will be installing it as soon as it's here. I've taken a Veeam backup of the device to the SD card and will do a bare-metal restore once the new SSD is inside.

Overall, it's a lovely device and looks and feels way more expensive than it was. The nearest competitor in the western world is the Dell Venue 7 with the Core-M CPU but that's going to run you nearly £1k once you add the keyboard.

Soldato
Interesting, £200? Where did you get it from please Glacus? I have an ipad from work and I just cant get on with it, would be interested to try this

Associate
Did the 256GB SSD upgrade last night. It took about 10 minutes to install.
Easy peasy and now this is a very, very useful device.

Good to hear, Ill be waiting till payday to get mine.
What HDMI cable/converter do I need for this?
Ideally Id like to be able to plug it in to my tv at home and a dvi/vga monitor at work also.
Also please keep updated with power cable news I'd like a second one.

Don
I found a PSU that will power it. It's a universal one and it works fine. I can't link it though.
Just search the usual places for: 12V 1.5A 4 SEAGATE SRD00F2 3TB 3T EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE AC-DC ADAPTOR POWER SUPPLY

It's actually 2A. It has a bit of a chunky plug as it's a universal one with different tips. I have one for the Acer Icona turning up in a day or so which should have a much nice plug. Will report back.

The HDMI cable you need is a Mini-HDMI to HDMI.

Associate
You sure that 2amp is enough as the wall plug i have is 2.5amp.
I assume this will just charge it slower Im just worried that if its completely dead it wont be enough to bring it back to life.
My dell venue pro wont come back to life from dead for anything under 2amp (1.5 doesnt work), but will happily charge from 10%->100 on anything over 1amp.

Man of Honour
OP
Scratch that. It keeps dropping off charge. 2A is probably not enough.

Did you ever find a charger?

Not sure what's broke, but unless a bit of weight is applied on charger it won't charge :(, I hope it's not the connector in the tablet, but experience with these stupid pin charges, is that it is. Wonder if it could be swapped for USB type c, isn't that upto 20v and 5amps?

Need to find a new charger first then, if it's nit that try and open up tablet and find a new connector or something. Just outside of aliexpress protection as well.

Don
My solution to the charger was to buy some 5,5mm to 3.5mm barrel adaptor, then I was above to use any of the tons of 3A+ 5.5mm 12V chargers.

By the way, the Surface Pro 2 screen protectors are a perfect fit for this tablet. I bought a tempered glass one that has an anti-fingerprint coating. Much better now and everything still works including the pen. The only issue is that the cutout for the camera is in the wrong place. It still works fine though.

Man of Honour
OP
Doh was searching for 3mm.
Got a link fir the exact adapter?

And that's so obvious it's brilliant as it's the same screen. Really should have thought about that.

Associate
Did the 256GB SSD upgrade last night. It took about 10 minutes to install.
Easy peasy and now this is a very, very useful device.

I'm planning to put in a 256GB into my i7 stylus also. I've heard that you can cause damage to the plastic clips on the speaker side of the chassis. Did you encounter this damage when you opened yours? If not, how did you go about it? If there is damage, would the chassis still be secure enough given the clips have been sheared off? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom