Cupra feels sluggish

Associate
Hi guys,

I am not mechanically minded so wondering if some of you guys could offer help. I know there are a few of you who use and tune the 1.8T engine that i have in my cupra.

I can hear the turbo when i put my foot down but it just doesn't feel as fast as it should and there is not much of a kick to it and after around 5000rpm it feels quite flat. The car as i know is completely stock. It's a facelift 2003 Cupra.

What would be the best way to check if it is not putting down the power it should? Take it on a RR and see what the figures come out like or is there another way?

I don't have vagcom so can't check for faults. Someone mentioned the MAF sensor but i have no idea myself.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, heard about unplugging the MAF sensor so will give that a shot and see.

Firestar - when i put my foot down i hear the whistle like air noise then when i take my foot off i hear the 'tshh' noise. Not a great explanation but hope that helps.

Associate
OP
I'm based in Hertfordshire. Wouldn't mind taking it somewhere to check it out but don't really know any good garages in the area who i would trust.

Cheers for the help Para and Firestar but as i said i am not mechanically minded and wouldn't be sure how to check those things out correctly.

Associate
OP
Thanks Para, that should be easy enough to follow. At work at the moment but will give it a go when i have some free time. Cheers :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the guide, that will be very useful :cool:

I will try and see if anyone near me has vagcom on seatcupra.net and if not i may purchase the lead. Thought it would be more expensive than it is.

Oh and yes i do use Super Unleaded :p

Associate
OP
Hi Tombles,
I'm in Watford and I also have a Cupra, and a VAG Com cable from ebay.
The only thing I don't have is a laptop but if you can bring one with you we could have a go at looking at whats wrong.

Thanks for the offer Ham but i just ordered the cable for myself which should be here tomorrow hopefully :)

Associate
OP
As Para said there is a "tshh" noise but you do have to listen out for it, only really noticeable when the windows are open otherwise you wouldnt really hear it.

Virdi - Thanks for that, will try and have a look after work.

Associate
OP
So had a quick check and couldn't see any split hoses or leaks.

I also disconnected the MAF sensor and drove around for a bit but didn't notice much difference to when it was plugged in. Not sure exactly what this means.

When i get my VAGCOM cable it should hopefully show something.

Associate
OP
Been having a look on seatcupra.net and someone else mentioned a big giveaway of a MAF sensor going is a rough idle which i noticed recently in my car. If this is true then seems like i found my problem so just got to get one ordered on pay day!

Associate
OP
My vagcom cable should have hopefully arrived at my house today.

Do any of you guys know how to test the MAF sensor with it?

Thanks

Associate
OP
You should try cleaning your MAF sensor before anything else - use something like carb cleaning fluid. They are often just dirty and don't actually need replacing.

When i unplugged it yesterday i did have a look to see if it was dirty but seemed clean to me. Could still try give it a clean i guess.

Associate
OP
I've explained that above - lol

:o Yes you have.

Will give it a go tomorrow, just got home from work and missed the parcel and post office closed now so will pick up tomorrow.

( |-| |2 ][ $ - It does pick up below but not as much as i would expect. My friends Audi A3 1.8T is 30bhp down and slower yet it picks up better and feels quicker than my cupra.

Associate
OP
Well i got vagcom working and got 2 fault codes pop up which are interesting.

16486 P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Low input

and

17608 P1200 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Just got back from a trip to AMD who replaced my MAF sensor and N75 valve and whilst i was waiting for those to be done i had a call from them saying my DV was also faulty so i got them to replace it with a Forge 007P which i was thinking of doing in the future anyway!

Car doesn't seem a lot quicker in lower revs but it does feel more urgent. Where i feel the difference the most is the higher revs. It keeps on going now whereas it would really drop off early before. Have not had a chance to drive it too much but will give it a good go later.

Happy with the results and would like to thank you all for the help :)

Now tempted to take it to Revo for a remap but cant really afford it right now.

Associate
OP
Thought they were fine when i was there. Was recommended them by seatcupra.net and their service was good, can't fault them really. If i was to get a remap i would be tempted to go back to them for it.

Associate
OP
Tombles how does the VAG COM cable work? I was under the impression that the software is free to download but can only be used with authentic ross tech cables. Or can it be used with any old copy from the bay?

What Para said. Some of the software was locked but the parts i wanted to use it for were all open and worked fine.

Some people who buy their cables off ebay do have problems with getting the software to work but there is usually a way around it.

Anyone here had a Revo stage 1 map? Is it a big difference?

Back
Top Bottom