Curious challenge

Associate
All,

I need some help, and I am new to all this.

I've managed to aquire a couple of HP DL360G3's... these are dual xeon 2.8Ghz, each with 10Gb of ram, 72Gb disks... nice kit and perfect for what I'd like to do.

now the problem, I'd like to be able to run these in house without having to put up with the hurricane noise they produce - or what the 7 x 40mm fans create.

I've tried putting the servers within a cupboard, adding foam padding to the cupboard etc but the noise is still too much to live with.

So my next thought is to rip the components out and put these with a larger case, once in here I can employ larger quieter fans to cool, replace the current heatsinks with a fan cooled models, therefore hopefully getting rid of the noisy smaller fans - plus my understanding is with a larger chassis there would be better air flow rather than in the current 1U format.

But here is the problem, trying to find a chassis which will support the custom motherboard they have... I don't mind having the modify the box

so has anyone tried this before, know anyone who has, anyone have any good ideas on how to get this working?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom