current recomended nvme for win 11

Associate
H my son is looking for a nvme for os only as he has plenty of game storage, so his thoughts are get a nvme for boot , so what is the recommended drive and size if he just wants to boot the os from it, his games are on a lexar nm790 and files on an ssd drive ?
Thanks

Man of Honour
Ideally you want os and programs on the same drives, but for just os 256gb although 64gb of free space is reccomended for windows 11 ,add programs 500gb to 1tb is what I would suggest

Better to have more than less and storage is cheap.

Associate
OP
Ideally you want os and programs on the same drives, but for just os 256gb although 64gb of free space is reccomended for windows 11 ,add programs 500gb to 1tb is what I would suggest

Better to have more than less and storage is cheap.
Thanks will try and talk him into a 1Tb as they are so cheap, any recommendations?

Man of Honour
H my son is looking for a nvme for os only as he has plenty of game storage, so his thoughts are get a nvme for boot , so what is the recommended drive and size if he just wants to boot the os from it, his games are on a lexar nm790 and files on an ssd drive ?
It is not really worth buying a new nvme/m.2 just for the boot drive, unless he is currently using a hard drive for the purpose.

If I was to buy one, you need to be careful with these low capacity drives because they're often terrible value per GB.

For an older system that is PCI-E 3.0 I'd get the drives mickyflinn suggested, for a midrange PCI-E 4.0 PC then a decent DRAMless TLC drive like SN580 or SN770 and for a newer high-end system then a high-end PCI-E 4.0 drive like SN850X, Firecuda 530, Crucial P5 Plus.

Soldato
Yeah better to grab the bigger size
Whilst prices are cheap
Predictions are 50% price increases this year
As manufacturers slowed down production
Because too much supply
Meant prices falling to all time lows

Associate
OP
Thanks all i have a SN850X and a mMP510 but dont know if these are still okay to buy, as he only has a Asus TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING i thought to ask on here as he is looking to upgrade later in the year, will show him your suggestions
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks all had a talk and have decided to give him my MP510 as he just bought a lexar for games storage and I will get a new SN850X

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom