Curved Or Flat ?

Associate
I game and browse the web.

Can't deicde whether to get
GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve
GB3461WQSU-B1 flat

Would I be best with a standard or ultrawide ?
I'm looking for 34" with at least 144hz

My only concern with ultra-wide is that some games cannot support the full resolution

Would browsing the web be ok on a ultra-wide ?

Last edited:
Soldato

GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve
GB3461WQSU-B1 flat

My only concern with ultra-wide is that some games cannot support the full resolution

Curved if an UW/34"+ monitor, most definitely.

There are very few games released these days that don't support or have a workaround for UW.

And the ones that don't, if you really want the game just play it with black borders.

Browsing the web is great on an UW, viewing two screens at once is nice.

Caporegime
at 34"and bigger definitely curved. A flat screen at that width the edges of the screen will be 3-4 inches further away than the centre. I hardly notice the curve on mine any more.

Permabanned
Unless you are doing some form of business graphics then curved. A 34" flat screen, the edges don't look right, they look too far away. Curved looks much more natural. It can be difficult to judge straight lines with a curved monitor so if you are doing any business type graphics then flat is better.

Soldato
Why do you think people can't browse the internet on a ultra-wide ? :confused:

For me using my ultra-wide monitor for browsing the internet is far better then using just a 16:9 screen
( When comparing monitors with roughly the same height like say a 27" 16:9 vs 34" 21:9 UW)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I went for a 32" Curved 16:9 144hz Samsung in the end.
Don't like the idea of ultrawide especially when browsing as I don't need the extra horizontal space as I never multi-task. Also £100 cheaper than the Liyama which people seem to be having issues with.

Soldato

GB3466WQSU-B1 Curve
GB3461WQSU-B1 flat

Those tv's also have different panels, the flat a IPS the curved a VA. Each have advantages and disadvantages but the curved is brighter, better blacks and no bleed, the IPS has better off centre angle viewing. If you're like me then if you sit in front of the curved then when gaming then you find it more immerssive. So far all my games have supported ultra wide so it's not been an issue. For my work I have several windows open and the ultrawide is suited towards this when using powertools...

Last edited:
Soldato
I was always pretty down on curved as I use my screen a lot for Revit but having bought the AW38 before Xmas I could never go back to a flat panel, especially not this size.

Soldato
34" flat, 34" is too small for a curve once you get use to it and a curve would make it not great in my opinion at that size, 34" really isn't that big. I had a AOC 34" flat and went to a 49" and purchased 2 49" screens the Samsung CRG9 with a 1800R curve and the G9 with the 1000R curve. The G9 was silly curved to the point it was useless when I had them side by side and was only good for car racing sims and for everything else was terrible. I ended up keeping the CRG9 with the 1800R curve as it was about perfect and the G9 was basically a banana the EU would fail for being too curved and got sent back for a refund.

One with white back is a G9 and CRG9 black back. Just to show you how curved they are.

6occpwo.jpg

Source for picture :-
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...j/curvature_comparison_of_samsung_g9_vs_crg9/

Last edited:
Soldato
Already mentioned but trying one will help or swap a monitors like have and then settle on a good all round monitor.

First person I prefer a 32" 16:9 like my Dell which is quite curved at 1800R. More would not work so well for normal usage IMO.
3rd person or open world I tend to prefer my 34" UW. Has to be curved but for me no more curve than 2000R. I may eventually upgrade to a 38" 32:9 with higher than 1440 res.
22" UW I have a work is flat and it annoys me plus it's only 1080 so not enough for the best browsing or productivity. 1440 or above only for browsing.

16:9 I can go bigger before I feel I need some curve but any UW needs some curve for me.

If I'm tempted by a 48" LG OLED when they release the new version later this year then I'd treat it like a TV and push it far back enough that the curve wouldn't be needed. Curved TVs don't work unless you really are a Billy no mates.

Back
Top Bottom