Custom case project

Associate
Okay, so i'm a year 12 student studying engineering at a new-ish school with a large association with a certain reputable digger company.
As part of year long design-make-review project i am planning to design-make-and review a custom computer case. I chose this is its what i'm interested in and find it easy to talk about. So i'm hoping more experienced people here will assist me in this project.
At my school i have access to a huge array of machinery in our workshops and pretty good at using the majority of it and if i cant i have people who will.
I'm thinking a white windowed case, but i want it to be different to all the other white windows cases out there. So i'm thinking along the lines of curves, maybe inverted motherboard tray, and some distinguishing lets say 'ornate' features, either 3d printed or vacuum formed. I think my obsessive attention to detail will come in very handy with this too :p
First will be concepting of ideas, which will then move on to CAD drawings, manufacture and the evaluation with a full report as i go along.
If you could make any suggestions i could add to my concepts these will also be greatly appreciated.

I was also thinking (but not getting my hopes up) that i may be able to get sponsorship to kit the thing out. After all what would a custom case be without some water and some power hungry components inside. I would be happy to write a full project log once i get going with the build. If you happen to have any experience with obtaining sponsorship or perhaps would be interesting in sponsoring me with this project then please message me. If all goes well then i hope to have some initial plans and ideas soon and i will certainly be keeping people updated with my progress.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Will definitely look into Waynio's builds a little more looking interesting.

That theme is certainly one to take further to concept, although I'm not sure how interested they would be as it really isn't their area of interest :p and if it wasn't something I would be looking to keep at the end of the build then I would go for it. But I like my contemporary looks :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well i'm certainly no going to be short on automated help. Just need to produce the 3D models in NX 7.5 if anyone is familiar, or even sketch up if needs be. Hand them over to be produced in 3D printers, CNC machines such as plasma cutters, laser cutters/engravers, lathes milling machines of various capabilities and sizes. Hey, its why the media seem to love our school! :D

I think once i have some rough concepts then i will ask around different companys. This is by no means going to be a short project. I don't even have to produce any product to complete this unit but why not make the most of what i have to get something useful out of it! And if it goes well then maybe i'll do another.

I think i will be making it at least water cooling ready even if i don't manage to get my hands on the gear so i will be incorporating then heavily into the design. Possibly start off with a design and layout similar to that of the TJ11 as that is one hell of a case minus the millions of drive bays. I really fail to see the need why manufacturers still have so many 5.25" standard and still so many 3.5". Surely few people use all these. One reason why modding is the answer :D

Associate
OP
Ok, so after spending a while playing around with sketch up and experimenting with numerous designs. This is what i have come up with as the layout:
4sy7vn.png

And the file itself if you want to have a play is here: (hosted on mediafire, assuming this is allowed?)
Sketchup file
Have noticed the pump is sticking out the case. Ignore that :p

Obviously the aesthetics of the case on top to the main frame will require a lot more thought.

Dimensions: 560mm (d), 410mm (H), 180mm (W)
So basically i wanted to try something different so i first thought the power supply is the most awkward thing in the case. This is a 200mm long ATX supply so it will easily fist the most powerful if needs be.
There is a huge amount of space below for a 480mm rad to cool a CPU and GPU with push/pull fans.
Slot loading DVD drive, more than enough for what i us a DVD drive for so it save a great deal of space.
Solid State Drives. Will be room about the place if i decide to have a mechanical drive as well.
Figured i won't need a massive amount of air flow through the case so the two installed here plus maybe a side fan would do the trick.

Please, please, please tell me what you think and what to change and if you think this would work! :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will be adding a top panel. I made this just to demonstrate the layout of the case, so the basic shell. Then i will add surrounding panels, probably in acrylic in various shapes, sizes and colors to give it a unique look.

Associate
OP
To make this project worth something i decided to put together a simple blog. Would love for you people to check back there if your interested in following the build over its course. Please comment on the posts with what you think and tips and whatnot but i will certainly not be deserting this forum for anything. It would be nothing without the overclockers community!

http://www.academymods.blogspot.com/

Associate
OP
Case1.png

Case2.png

Case3.png

Second case design!
So this is an alternative case design. Figured the tower design is to 'common'. I like this as it allows me to see what i want to see and hide what I don't so it is a very clean look. The water cooling loop is very simple and all the equipment for that are all in its own self contained section. I was surprised at the size of the case when laid out like this at just 440mm x 350mm x 280mm.

What do you think?

Associate
OP
The tubes i left unfinished because i figured i would need a major rethink about their location seen as they go straight over the I/O ports :p
Recon i would probably ditch the fan and just put a honeycomb grill on the middle back section.

Associate
OP
Certainly would make the water cooling easier but having the PSU and other devices where they are now allow for the cables to come up exactly where they need to be with minimum hassle.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That would be cool. Although controlling the flow to uninformly cover the acrylic and for it to be entirely sealed would be a little bit difficult. I could however have a large skinny backlit reservoir.

The project has to be completed ideally by April next year but this includes a lot of boring written work which had to be done for it wo be worth anything. I am hoping to have the design finalised by the of this school year. At this point I will start a project log with less often but big update. I will start manufacturing in September. I'm using this thread purely for ideas.

Associate
OP
As much as I'd like to say I made them, sadly, I didn't. :( SketchUp has thousands of models To download if you have a google for what you'd like.

I would only use SketchUp for the basic designs as its free for home and I find it easy to use. Sketchup has some huge limitations so nything beyond simple designs and layouts such as this, then I will use NX which is very similar to ProEngineer/Creo (if you haven't some across it) which is more common University's apparently.

Personally, I'm really enjoying it and the quality of the teaching is much better than my previous school.

Associate
OP
Bring this thread back to life.
After a busy week, i got some minor tweaks done to one design which i do quite like. Tell me what you think.

Case12.png

Case22.png

• Switched around the water cooling tubes and added some detail to them
  • Placed two small fans beneth the motherboard to circulate a small amount of air for chipsets
  • Rounded front edges of case
  • Added locaiton for a few HDD's

In progress of a new, more original design to be uploaded soon :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With much more practice on sketchup and some more ideas, i came up with this.
What do you think?
21j7luu.png

Dimensions: H450mm W350mm D350mm
Should be a very tidy layout :D
Unsure whether to have the entirely perspex front panel though. May go with just a window.

Back
Top Bottom