Custom floating desk build - rexehuk

Soldato
Hello all!

Today I've started work on my new desk, this will be replacing an Ikea galant corner desk.

This post will serve as a mini build log (should be a few days long). All photos sponsored by Samsung S2 :p.

Specifications of desk:

• 1.84M long
  • 600mm deep
  • 38mm thick

The desk
ixDNH.jpg

Making the framework

Firstly I had to mark out the framework for fixing to the walls, this will be what the desk rests on out of sight.

nidLR.jpg

Forgot to allow for the thickness of the backplate for the side brackets ;) derp.

YxJyA.jpg

Bench saw soon fixed that

jEHFJ.jpg

Drilled the initial pilots for the back/side brackets

sWtQQ.jpg

Next had to mark out the notches for the steel support to sit in

Ww1CQ.jpg

Then sawed and chiseled out the notches

qBXNb.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Next step is onto the steel!

25x25x3 Box Steel, all rubbed down with thinner and sand paper to ensure it was free from oil.

JCL3S.jpg

lheki.jpg

Due to the kind of steel, I need to coat it to prevent it rusting, I chose this as it had no need for primers / undercoats.

QvSRG.jpg

First coat on

WKd3z.jpg

Third coat on

MXsG2.jpg

Well deserved rest

mEePO.jpg

I've decided to build some cable management system to the underside of my desk... Everything I've looked at is extremely expensive, so I've made my own!

VZC4v.jpg

Next step is fitting the wood to the wall and then the joyful job of cutting the worktop to fit onto walls that are not straight. That may take place tomorrow time permitting.

The wooden brackets need to be painted or vanished, I'm yet to decide a decent colour.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
did you buy the work top especially or did you have some left over from a kitchen you've just fitted?

Bought it for the project. It's 3 meters in length so I may well make a little shelf with the remainder for the printer, server and switch.

Also got some chrome cable grommets on the way, shall post pics when they arrive.

Soldato
OP
UPDATE

A quick update on the progress, desk is coming along nicely! It's all fitted for now, but some work to do yet (as well as repairs).

First of all I started opening up the holes for the back bracket (the strongest fixing) with 7mm drill bit and 10mm for the wall plugs.

vzNFF.jpg

Marked up the wall for the bracket(s) to sit, found this quite hard as to judge the level I wanted the desk to sit at, however I'm fairly happy with the height it came out at.

YgC34.jpg

Success!

z0rlp.jpg

Then fitted the right hand fixing, this has an overhang as the wall its fixing into the chimney, fitted 3 fixing points with 2 screws each for extra stability

XlLxD.jpg

Then the left fixing

fb9ff.jpg

As the walls are not straight, I had to deduce the amount the walls were out, which is where this tool comes in handy.

mxefE.jpg

In true father son spirit, I delegated the work and took a management role ^^

TVTc9.jpg

First fitting... did not go so well, as it turned out the right wall was 90 degrees for a short distance and then bulged slightly causing the measurement to be a very tight fit.

ZjiYO.jpg

The solution? Destroy! This will be touched up after with filler and special caulk.

np5Rv.jpg

Now it fits

sRBZ5.jpg

Then in with my big black rod, and marking out the top end screw points to fix into the brackets

7Ij5c.jpg

Drilled out the holes on the topside and underside (for fixing into desk)

p0BCw.jpg

Countersunk

O8wXg.jpg

Fit the steel brace and the desk is secure

gq6ZO.jpg

Some magical cleaning later with a hoover

E8DGb.jpg

That is all for now, the next steps in the project are

• Fixing the wall
  • Applying the edging to the desk
  • Painting and shaping the support brackets to make them a bit nicer
  • Fitting 3 x 80mm chrome cable management gromits (I lack an 80mm hole cutting bit so need to buy one)
  • Buying a nice chrome plug socket
  • Fitting cable management system
  • Fixing power sources to the underside of the desk so that end end result = 2 cables only into sockets
  • Setting up all my gear on the new desk

Last edited:
Soldato
can i add something to the to-do list?

i suggest you screw one of those multi-plug power surge extension cables to under the desk so that you dont have a bunch of cables coming from the power socket? :)

one of these

power%20surge%20protector.jpg

Soldato
OP
can i add something to the to-do list?

i suggest you screw one of those multi-plug power surge extension cables to under the desk so that you dont have a bunch of cables coming from the power socket? :)

one of these

power%20surge%20protector.jpg

Already got 2 surge protection power strips, these will be fixed to the underside of the desk.

Good idea with the cable management. How do you get the cables through the desk as I can't see any holes for them?

No holes have been drilled yet as I lack an 80mm bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks... Amazin, but my mother says it wont take the weight xD

Elaborate? Does she not like my big black rod? Maybe I'll show it to her sometime ;).

The rear mounting board is fixed in with anchor bolts to a main adjoining wall to the house next door, the house will come down before the desk :D. The left support is fixed in to the main exterior wall the the front of the house and the right is fixed into the chimney, which is my weakest point due to the overhang.

It is also worth noting that the main weight will be on the right edge (where the PC will probably sit) which will be close to the fixing point to ensure the least amount of strain on the desk, and along the back of the desk where the monitor will sit; I can't see any issues.

The weakest point in the desk is between the rear brace and the front steel support, that area will have no significant weight placed upon it.

If it does fall down I'll give your mother kudos ;).

I'd keep walking into it, I'd have a red hip by the end of the week

Haha luckily this is not a scenario. The edge is next to my mirror, I will give a full room view once it's done, my room is fairly large. I did however do this a few times with my Ikea galant corner desk, which ended in me nearly in tears each time.

Also I'll be happy to hear anyones ideas on how to finish off the wood to make it a bit more stylish. I was thinking of painting it black and shaping it to some degree... need some inspiration. You'll see why I want black when I show the rest of my room (Ikea mad).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It looks like it will take the weight fine to me.

As for finishing the wood I assume you mean the support on the right hand edge that sticks out... weell, you could either cover it in a veneer, or shape it so that it tapers off towards the edge, then veneer it.

Soldato
OP
It looks like it will take the weight fine to me.

As for finishing the wood I assume you mean the support on the right hand edge that sticks out... weell, you could either cover it in a veneer, or shape it so that it tapers off towards the edge, then veneer it.

Veneer is a good idea, never thought of that. It would work well due to the surface of the desk and the fact finding a suitable paint / varnish will be impossible.

As for the shaping, yeah I mean the right one sticking out, if I go the veneer route I can coat the brackets in veneer too, it seems to come in massive sheets for cheap.

I was thinking a simple rounded edge to a tip, could be a simple way to make it look nicer. Luckily I have a good bit of the same wood left, so can use that for practice runs.

Soldato
Climb up on to the desk and lie across it/sit on one edge and see if it holds your weight and take a picture to prove these naysayers wrong. If it holds a grown human's weight then a pc should be a doddle.

Back
Top Bottom