Unless you're very lucky indeed

Edit
Some are acrylic
Some pmma/petg
Some actually are glass those need to be more careful
Cutting
And some are metal

Last edited:
PETG is fine tbh.. as long as you don't allow the water temp to reach a certain point, else it'll start warping.

PETG is easier to bend and work with, but PMMA/Acrylic is far better/clearer and a higher heating/boiling point.

I don't use a bending kit.. corner of a table, chair leg or tiled floor is what i use, and an RFB drill bit for chamfering/cleaning

PETG is easier to bend and work with
A myth perpetuated by the same people who decided to force that PETG junk on us in the first place, IMO. I mean look at all the "it doesn't shatter" nonsense that was going around with idiot "influencers" hitting tubes with hammers.

Acrylic takes about 30 more seconds to get to malleable temperature than PETG. Hell, in my experience acrylic is easier to work with than PETG because of the extra time required to heat things up. You can control it better, you have a larger window to test malleability, and it can handle multiple reheats if you didn't quite nail your final angle and need to tweak.

Last edited:
A myth perpetuated by the same people who decided to force that PETG junk on us in the first place, IMO. I mean look at all the "it doesn't shatter" nonsense that was going around with idiot "influencers" hitting tubes with hammers.

Acrylic takes about 30 more seconds to get to malleable temperature than PETG. Hell, in my experience acrylic is easier to work with than PETG because of the extra time required to heat things up. You can control it better, you have a larger window to test malleability, and it can handle multiple reheats if you didn't quite nail your final angle and need to tweak.
i found PETG easy to work with in terms of bending when i did it for my Jonsbo build.. the only issue i had with it was over-heating so bubbles formed more easily.. had this issue a lot when using Alphacool tubing.. but then i switched to Bykski Acrylic and thats been a breeze too.. just a bit longer under the heat

Last edited:
I might get a length of PETG and see how tightly I can bend it. I've have two runs in a current project that need extremely tight bends that I can do with acrylic but are slightly deformed. They don't impede flow and are essentially hidden so what I have now isn't an issue, but my brain is a perfectionist even if my manual dexterity and eyesight doesn't actually enable it :P

PETG is fine tbh.. as long as you don't allow the water temp to reach a certain point, else it'll start warping.

PETG is easier to bend and work with, but PMMA/Acrylic is far better/clearer and a higher heating/boiling point.

I don't use a bending kit.. corner of a table, chair leg or tiled floor is what i use, and an RFB drill bit for chamfering/cleaning

Same here... I was reading this thread thinking there are bending kits? I just bend them by hand and eye.

I either cut them with my chop saw (high RPM and a really slow cutting speed are key if you haven't tried) or with a hacksaw if it's late in the evening/night. I initially tried one of those pipe cutting tools (similar to the plumber tools for cutting copper) and it was utter *****. One of those reaming tools, however, is brilliant for cleaning up the tube ends.

Water also makes a great lubricant for the silicone insert, which nobody ever seems to do and then complains that they can't get their insert out of a simple 90° bend.

I might get a length of PETG and see how tightly I can bend it. I've have two runs in a current project that need extremely tight bends that I can do with acrylic but are slightly deformed. They don't impede flow and are essentially hidden so what I have now isn't an issue, but my brain is a perfectionist even if my manual dexterity and eyesight doesn't actually enable it :P
I’d go as far to say if you are starting out to use PETG and practise as it’s more forgiving then move over to acrylic.
But that’s just me

Same here... I was reading this thread thinking there are bending kits? I just bend them by hand and eye.

I either cut them with my chop saw (high RPM and a really slow cutting speed are key if you haven't tried) or with a hacksaw if it's late in the evening/night. I initially tried one of those pipe cutting tools (similar to the plumber tools for cutting copper) and it was utter *****. One of those reaming tools, however, is brilliant for cleaning up the tube ends.

Water also makes a great lubricant for the silicone insert, which nobody ever seems to do and then complains that they can't get their insert out of a simple 90° bend.
Water and a dab of washing up liquid for me.. especially if I need to reinsert with a tube already bent

Back
Top Bottom