cutting a bolt connecting the control arm to the lower ball joint (C3)

Permabanned
Hey guys, started the seemingly easy task of disassembling the front OS strut to replace the spring, CV boot and track rod end ive hit some real issues. Main one right now being that one of the bolts attaching the lower ball joint to the control arm is bulged, its been hit or used for a jack point or something, its fubar. So im gonna need to cut it off to get the strut out.

Dont have any experience cutting bolts really, thinking from looking around that a dremel could be the way forward, more accurate than an angle grinder. I have neither so its screwfix for me in the morning, what would yall do?

Permabanned
OP
J4ajCyBTjDPfVa8t6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kN9Z7ND8DtbtUZxg7

Permabanned
OP
i would like to tighten it and cut it off above the bulge so i can reattach to get car to garage. as you can see above it ive removed the pinch nut for the lower ball joint and had a go separating that way but i need a better lever

Permabanned
OP
thanks guys. the issue is the top of the nut isnt a hex it's a rusted torx and access is quite restricted by the hub. I'm worried about rounding that out. vids online seem to all pop off the lower balljoint so I might go that route first with a pry bar and cut as second option. its deffo bulges and is about a mm thicker than others at worst so I dont see it undoing without knackering the torx head

Permabanned
OP
ok well i was being dramatic i guess (read inexperience) i used a wire brush on a drill to properly clean the thread, then i got some molegrips and locked em around the head of the bolt. Barely took and effort then, tie rod was way worse lol

one thing, im rebuilding the strut, does this look normal? im guessing once compressed itll line up but errrr https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZyYGmuUL8rYrUoG9

Also anyone know if i can use the plate at the bottom of the shock to attach the spring compressors?

Permabanned
OP
Spring compressors go on the spring and nothing else. Be VERY careful as not kidding here they can be deadly if handled wrong. Do not skimp, get some good compressors or take them to a garage to put the spring on for you as the top nut of the damper rod can be a bugger to get tight without the correct tools.

yeah i do know of the bomb like nature of compressed springs. very scary lol i believe i do have all the tools and have done a spring before (strut in a vice torqued up) but maybe if i can find a garage open tomorrow ill get it done on a machine

Permabanned
OP
It doesn't look wrong.

Attach the spring compressors to the spring. Once it's wound down you should be able to drop the spring into place and bolt the top on.

Using the compressors from the base plate is just asking for something to slip which can be very nasty with a compressed spring.

only asked about the plate as the hooks on the spring compressors fit neatly into the holes in it, wondered if it was "a thing" lol

Back
Top Bottom