Cutting angles in laminate flooring beading : Nightmare!! Tips?

Soldato
Redecorating our house from top to bottom and have now almost finished the living room. Have laminate flooring down and attempted to finish that off today with the edging/beading strips around the skirting. In hindsight I should have just taken the skirting off and done it that way but I was lazy and didn't.

Anyway, tried cutting the beading for the first few 90 degree angles on the wall today and its been a nightmare. Never manage to get the angle quite right despite using a mitre saw that I have. Cutting perfect 45 degree angles with it doesn't quite work as the walls are always a degree or so out resulting in a gap at the join. I recall doing this in my flat before we moved to this house and back then it was a mare as well but I muddled through it.

Anyone got any tips on cutting this beading so the join looks half decent?. :confused:

Soldato
OP
I find making a paper/card template of the corner helps to get it spot on, as you say walls are never perfect angles anyway.
Thanks, how do you go about that method?.

Cut it at around 40 -43 degree and fill with a wood filler.

Cool, does the colour of the wood filler match up with the beading?. I take it you get it in different shades?.

Associate
Have you got a sharp chisel? I'm guessing the beading is quite small so just cut it at 45 deg and then alter the angle slightly with your chisel. I wouldn't use fillers but you could probably get away with it as it's one of those things folks aren't going to pick up unless they're looking for it.

Associate
you need one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-5-HARDWOOD...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item5d2957a306

put the ADJUSTABLE SQUARE level in to the corner and get you angle and then transfer the angle of the adjustable square onto your mitre cutter.

ive done many a room like this and always works for me.

I also used a sliding bevel.
1. Use the sliding bevel to find the angle
2. Mark the angle on to scrap wood
3. Use a protractor to determine the angle
4. Set you mitre saw to half the angle
Hope this helps I did three rooms the method worked a treat.

Soldato
OP
Ah right, gotcha now. Ta.

Wanted to get cracked on with the stuff tomorrow, wonder if anywhere high street wise like B & Q or Homebase does those bevels?.

Cheers for the info so far folks.

Soldato
I had a lot of trouble trying to do this around a door frame, took a lot of trial and error to get it right. I just used some caulk to fill in the gaps where it was not possible to use the beading. There is no real way to terminate the beading in these sorts of situations, you pretty much have to make it up and hope it looks okay.

The beading has been down a couple of years now and you can see the wear and tear they have taken on the corners.

DSC03927.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

Associate
Another option for internal corners is to run one side straight into the corner then using a scrap piece draw the profile onto the other piece and cut it out with a coping saw. It'll give a great join but does take a bit more effort.

Soldato
Another option for internal corners is to run one side straight into the corner then using a scrap piece draw the profile onto the other piece and cut it out with a coping saw. It'll give a great join but does take a bit more effort.

what this guy said +1

place 1 piece along the wall place other piece over top, mark the meeting point and cut.

Back
Top Bottom