CV Gaps

Soldato
I retired last September due to ill health and had a couple of operations, as a result I am now back to good health and ready to return to work. To that end, what should I put down on my CV for the past year? Do I state I retired due to ill health but I'm better now?

Whilst I was off I did several DIY projects in the house and also completed my CompTIA Security+. Apart from that the year has flown by (although I have completed several games :) ).

Man of Honour
CompTIA Security+ is a good start - I'd probably generalise a bit and put start year of last job to present as a heading and stick that job then CompTIA Security+ as entries for that period rather than be too specific. Specific jobs aside employers aren't really interested in seeing a massive list of jobs and exact dates from and to if you have a long employment history.

Soldato
As above I would just put the training down as at least you were doing something (other than recovering).

I would be careful elaborating on the reason for leaving the last job as it may put some prospective employers off, if asked mention it in an interview but to put it on your CV is asking for it to be binned.

Soldato
OP
CompTIA Security+ is a good start - I'd probably generalise a bit and put start year of last job to present as a heading and stick that job then CompTIA Security+ as entries for that period rather than be too specific. Specific jobs aside employers aren't really interested in seeing a massive list of jobs and exact dates from and to if you have a long employment history.

CompTIA was just something to do cos I was bored. Not looking to get back into IT though, just want something to do that gets me out of the house and gives me a bit of pocket money.

Man of Honour
CompTIA was just something to do cos I was bored. Not looking to get back into IT though, just want something to do that gets me out of the house and gives me a bit of pocket money.

I meant in terms of padding out that bit of the CV.

Soldato
Depends on age and previous employment history, whether formally retired etc. but an unpaid sabbatical year during which you updated your qualifications sounds a reasonably professional thing to do.

Caporegime
you didn't really retire if you're still looking for full time work... well unless you've got the amigafan definition where quitting to become a full time student in your 30s somehow = 'early retirement'

but I don't see an issue with mentioning that you took time off for health grounds and have now recovered + that you used some of the time constructively for work related study

Soldato
OP
you didn't really retire if you're still looking for full time work... well unless you've got the amigafan definition where quitting to become a full time student in your 30s somehow = 'early retirement'

but I don't see an issue with mentioning that you took time off for health grounds and have now recovered + that you used some of the time constructively for work related study

I'm not looking for full time work, I'm lucky that I can get by on my army pension so money is not the driving force here. I'm only 50 and I mostly miss the interaction with people at work, being off's ok for a while but then it gets a bit boring. Only so much Jeremy Kyle you can watch :)

I've always been honest with employers in the past about my illness but never had such a big gap away from work before.

Soldato
I'd just state that due to illness you've had to take time away from working but now your ready to go again.

I wouldn't use the word retire, also I wouldn't mention the DIY projects as some places would take it as you've had a year off to tart the house up i.e the old well if you managed to do up the house you could have been working attitude.

Caporegime
I'm not looking for full time work, I'm lucky that I can get by on my army pension so money is not the driving force here. I'm only 50 and I mostly miss the interaction with people at work, being off's ok for a while but then it gets a bit boring. Only so much Jeremy Kyle you can watch :)

I've always been honest with employers in the past about my illness but never had such a big gap away from work before.

Oh fair enough, have you considered doing some volunteer work initially? I mean it satisfies the interaction thing you're looking for and gets you back into the work force part time so you can legitimately show on your CV that the illness isn't so much of an issue now.

Soldato
Just put career break due to heath reasons...

I was on the dole for exactly one year to the day I left one job to starting another and on my CV I just have career break due to redundancy.

Both my current and previous employers understood and gave me a job, the two that hired me since my career break and I only needed to apply for two jobs; the two that I'm referring since having it.

I think that most people understands that after working for 10 years straight, 3 months after leaving university, I wanted and needed a break and didn't need to work. :)

EDIT: the rest of your CV, like certifications will show that you did courses during that time. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
For me it would depend on what the illness was. If it was something major I would just tell them. Things like this happen and people need to give you a chance to prove you are back to normal. On the other hand if it was minor then I wouldn't mention it. Just say I took a year out to travel to see Aunty or something like that.

Soldato
Most application forms will ask you to declare any health issues. If you lie on you CV you'll have to lie on the HR forms.

I wouldn't add anything after your last job, they may not even notice the end date until you get to an interview.

You'll have to convince them your health issues won't stop you from doing your job. As dowie says, work as a volunteer to show you are fit to return to work.

Soldato
I think honesty is everything. You have to remember most people who have interviewed more than a handful of people will have heard many different things over the years.

It is not uncommon to have people returning to work for a variety of reasons (health/family/etc) and you've actually done something with your time. You can obviously present this in a sensible fashion. I would probably just leave the CV blank and then explain at interview.

Any prospective employer is going to rightly question you on your health and any factors which may cause a recurrence of the previous issues/more sick leave. Don't be offended by this, simply be open and honest.

The suggestions of doing some volunteer work are very sensible - and potentially even do this with prospective employers.

Soldato
Most application forms will ask you to declare any health issues. If you lie on you CV you'll have to lie on the HR forms.

I wouldn't add anything after your last job, they may not even notice the end date until you get to an interview.

You'll have to convince them your health issues won't stop you from doing your job. As dowie says, work as a volunteer to show you are fit to return to work.

Err, it's illegal for an employer to ask for you to declare health issues prior to making a job offer other than in very specific situations https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ta/file/85013/employment-health-questions.pdf

Back
Top Bottom