Cycling Holidays

Soldato
Was trying to find the posts in the Road Cycling thread but couldn't find them easily so thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread.

I know a few of the guys on here have been over the Majorca this year. Im looking to go over in a group of 4 in September.

Looking at the maps, i think the Port de Pollenca would be best, that way me and my friend can ride and the girls can wait on the beach:D

For the guys who've been, i've got a few questions, where/what hotel did you stay? did you go all inclusive? did you take your own bikes? i was going to rent a bike box but maybe just renting a bike over there will be better?

If i do take my bike, im a bit worried about ruining my rims on the descents with all the breaking, im running Dura Ace C50s, theyre great over here but a windy day along the coast out to the lighthouse thing? maybe it would it be better to leave them at home if i take my bike and use a normal set of rims?

Im sure ive got more questions but thats all i can think of right now.

Chapeau!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, i was just looking at that Pollenca Park touch, looks just what we need, the beach look great on streetview to. Its quite far from the airport i see, did you arrange transfers of rent a car?

Most importantly tho, how was the cycling !? :D

Soldato
OP
Right so we're definitely going! 8 days in Port de Pollenca mid September, we booked into the Pollenca Park hotel as mentioned in the thread. Decided to go all inclusive in the end. Total was £570 for flights and hotel.

Im sure ill have loads of questions but my main one at the moment is what type of gearing would be best? Im currently running Ultegra 53/36 i think. This might be a bit big for the climbs? Im not really sure what to expect so was thinking of buying a 50/34 chainset for the holiday

Soldato
OP
Right so, 19 days till we go!

Im just going to stick with my 53/36 and a 27 on the back, bit worried about my fitness tho, i haven't been able to ride for a month due to various things! im probably only going to be able to get a couple of 50 milers in before we leave:eek:

Hired a bikebox alan today for the trip so thats the bike taken care of.

As for transfers, topgun mentioned dropping [email protected] a note, who are these guys lol? anyone have a rough idea of how much it would be for 4 people, suitcases and 2 bike box alans from the airport to Port de Pollenca?

Soldato
OP
Transfers are booked, thanks for the tip topgun;)

Ive been looking at the climbs and the videos of Sa Calobra have got me scared already! im not bike fit and that climb looks killer:D

Soldato
OP
That looks awesome Lethal. The Cap de Formentor route is just along from our hotel so i can see that turned into a regular ride!

My hire bike box just arrived from Bike Box Alan. Its happening!:D

91j3vPM.jpg

Ive managed to get a compact crank on ready for the trip, only issue is the LBS took out 1 link to many and the chains a bit tight for the big ring on the front and big on the back, thats not really a problem as i dont cross chain anyway.

Soldato
OP
Wow that looks brilliant! I'm in Majorca at the moment. Had the firstday on the bike yesterday, only managed 47miles but got 4000+ft in. I'll post some pics later , on phone now so can't resize properly but here's a pic of me climbing to the lighthouse
x0LWVZk.jpg

Soldato
OP
That really is a fantastic route. By far the best on the island. Just about to do it again. 23c , calm wind. I'm taking the go pro this time too:)

Soldato
OP
Already thinking about booking next years trip to Majorca. Was thinking about doing one towards the end of April for 5 or 6 days of just cycling with mates. Then booking one a bit later in August as a holiday for the girlfriend.

Soldato
OP
Pollensa park hotel is fantastic, only problem i had was a bit of noise from people leaving early one night.

Would advise to go all inclusive because you will get through a lot of food out there.

Also, a super important vital thing to not forget is some decent tea bags. Ones in the hotel are crap:D

Just outside the hotel is a bike shop so you can get anything you've forgotten quite easily.

A nice ride that not many people seem to mention is the one out from Pollenca to the military base in Alcuida i done that one day and really enjoyed the twisting road along the coast, there's also a pretty steep 15% + bit on there that goes up to a nature reserve if you fancy it.

Soldato
OP
Im trying to book a holiday to Mallorca in Sept but the prices seem high, havent been able to find a good deal anywhere. Requirements are all inclusive in Port de Pollença and preferably a reputable airline. Last year we got it for around £500 all in but this year its coming in at £800

Soldato
OP
Where are people staying in Mallorca? Ive only stayed at the Pollenca Park hotel but its mega bucks this year.

Soldato
OP
I was just looking at Alcudia and villas, i was surprised how reasonable they are if you split it and they do look nice. I think we want to go all inclusive at a hotel tho because of the amount of food/ beer will be drunk;)

Soldato
OP
Holiday book. Mallora for end Sept begining Oct.

Benny have you tried packing your bike in the box yet? im going to buy one this year rather than rent. Just trying to decide which to get.

Soldato
OP
Interesting, if collecting from the airport i need something bigger because ive got 2 bike boxes & 4 suitcases, oh and 4 people:D

Soldato
OP
Do you think it's worth getting insurance for Mallorca? I'm not ot worried about theft, more airport damage/loss. Bikes worth about 6k.

Back
Top Bottom