Cycling Holidays

Soldato
OP
Wow that looks brilliant! I'm in Majorca at the moment. Had the firstday on the bike yesterday, only managed 47miles but got 4000+ft in. I'll post some pics later , on phone now so can't resize properly but here's a pic of me climbing to the lighthouse
x0LWVZk.jpg

Soldato
I took a right turn at that first car park on the Cap de Formentor ride after ascending the first hill.. didn't see the road straight ahead because there were so many cars messing about trying to park so I ascended an extra hill with road surfaces like in topgun's video. Wow - the surface for the main route is so much better now!

Soldato
I took a right turn at that first car park on the Cap de Formentor ride after ascending the first hill.. didn't see the road straight ahead because there were so many cars messing about trying to park so I ascended an extra hill with road surfaces like in topgun's video. Wow - the surface for the main route is so much better now!

All influenced by Team Sky! :D

Soldato
OP
That really is a fantastic route. By far the best on the island. Just about to do it again. 23c , calm wind. I'm taking the go pro this time too:)

Soldato
Yes get the GoPro out.

I have so many videos from all over the Tramuntana. They're just so huge it would take 3 years to upload.

Here is one going the opposite way, from the viewing area on the way to Formentor, back down into Pollenca.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have opinions on which Canary Island might be best for a trip in late December?

I wouldn't recommend Gran Canaria, we went there on non-cycling holiday a couple of years back and took a day trip from the coast into the mountains. Many of the roads there were only passable in the 4x4 jeeps they took us in, you could do it in a car but I imagine wouldn't be very good fun on a road bike with road tyres.

Soldato
I've heard that Lanzarote is flatter but windy (still has some decent climbs though).
Tenerife has no flat land at all. Loads of great climbs (including teide at 6.4% for over 20 miles! I went there for a week in February last year and the weather was great at that time of year. It really brought on my climbing but i was very bored of hills after a week.

Soldato
Bored of climbing?! We get enough stick for our lack of climbs around London! I'll take whatever mountains I can get.:p

I'm not even joking.

I like hills but it's not like anything we have over here where you would get a flattish section between climbs. It's literally either uphill or downhill anywhere you go.

Over here, you might see people riding out to a hill then doing a few reps up it. Over there you'll see people riding to the 2 mile flat section and doing reps up and down it!
https://www.strava.com/activities/211347411

It's brilliant for improving your climbing, but it gets boring after a week!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not even joking.

I like hills but it's not like anything we have over here where you would get a flattish section between climbs. It's literally either uphill or downhill anywhere you go.

Over here, you might see people riding out to a hill then doing a few reps up it. Over there you'll see people riding to the 2 mile flat section and doing reps up and down it!
https://www.strava.com/activities/211347411

It's brilliant for improving your climbing, but it gets boring after a week!

This is so true, same with Cyprus, just got quite frustrating as any ride you went on just involved some horrendous 30min climb as a minimum, which after a few days you do just want a day of flat riding to have a bit of rest.

Soldato
Just got back from a ride up to Cap Formentor. What a road! Absolutely stunning views and none of the silly 20% gradients you get in Yorkshire! Just nice smooth switchbacks all the way.

Gonna ride to Sa Calobra tomorrow. Hope it's just as good!

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend Gran Canaria, we went there on non-cycling holiday a couple of years back and took a day trip from the coast into the mountains. Many of the roads there were only passable in the 4x4 jeeps they took us in, you could do it in a car but I imagine wouldn't be very good fun on a road bike with road tyres.

Well pro cycling teams have been managing to cope OK for years!

Soldato
Lanzarote has been booked. I'm wondering if I should have gone for GC instead now I've read all the horror stories about the wind in Lanzarote!:eek:

Renting a Planet X TT bike for the week although maybe I should leave the deep rims behind if I'm going to get blown off!:o

Back
Top Bottom