Cyclist - in middle of road

Soldato
I didn't understand what the car following did ? presumably he stopped (from 60mph?) without hitting the cyclist in the middle of the lane , and witnessed your manouver.

Soldato
OP
I didn't understand what the car following did ? presumably he stopped (from 60mph?) without hitting the cyclist in the middle of the lane , and witnessed your manouver.
He backed off a little bit just before the corner. He was less than one car length behind me for quite a while.
Sometimes closer so was concerned as to what he was up to.

He was still behind me at the next lights, so presume he went past them.
To be honest after it happened I was paying attention to the junction after it so wasn’t looking exactly what he did when he encountered them.

Soldato
I think the thing with being a motorcyclist.

I'm not saying I'm the oracle of road safety and motorcycle guru, I have been now riding 20 years and still alive says something I guess.....

I don't ride slow either, I'd say I'm above average, although I'm no street Rossi, I certainly cannot take corners as well as some.

Anyway, point I'm getting to, is I don't often have near misses, really ever. I think if you are riding a motorcycle and are having near misses, or things that could have been near misses, and often, you probably shouldn't be riding.

This isn't directed at the OP necessarily either, I don't know this could have been the first thing in 20 years or whatever then fair enough.

I'd say it was **** poor planning to go round a corner like that, with a car close behind, you've ended up putting yourself in a pressure situation. The best thing to do with the car behind your ass around that corner would have been to take it more slowly, you'd have given yourself way more time to anticipate the danger on the exit, and despite the car being right up your backside, I'd rather both vehicles be moving at 30 than 60, as the vehicle in front you were controlling the speed.

Man of Honour
I'm reminded by this post by 10 pence short on Pistonheads which may help you re-evaluate how you take corners. You don't know what may confront you as you go round a bend. There might be a cyclist, an animal, or in this case a fellow motoring enthusiast who failed to take the corner.

Thanks for posting that. A fascinating thread.

Soldato
I'm reminded by this post by 10 pence short on Pistonheads which may help you re-evaluate how you take corners. You don't know what may confront you as you go round a bend. There might be a cyclist, an animal, or in this case a fellow motoring enthusiast who failed to take the corner.

Stories like this remind me that sometimes the difference between those in jail and those not in jail is luck. We've all done something stupid before and we're lucky that it stayed a stupid action instead of a tragic one.

Back
Top Bottom