Cyclist plague spreading

Caporegime
If I see someone waiting to pull out I start pedalling faster so they know I'm going fast.

most motorists seem to think if you aren't pedalling away you must be coasting along fairly slow :S

Soldato
I would slow down and anticipate your actions by maintaining a stopping distance and suitable speed between me and the vehicle in front, including while it is overtaking, the driver, if trying to force an accident, would have to actually hit me rather than I hit him. As the Highway Code you quote says, slow down if necessary to allow the vehicle to pass. I am aware of the fact that the car overtaking may well suddenly stop or cut me up, so I take appropriate measures to avoid such.

Your point of view appears to be based on the massive assumption that the driver pulled in an stopped having passed the cyclists and given enough stopping room.

A lot of car / cyclist accidents are caused by left hooks (both of mine have been) where the driver passes the bicycle until they are out of their peripheral vision and then turns or pulls left without realising the the cyclist is actually still next to them.

Also, for any given speed a bicycle has a great stopping distance than a car so immediately pulling in and braking is going to lead to an accident that the cyclist is unlikely to be able to afford.

Oh, and on your previous comments on insurance for cycling you appear to be confusing third party liability insurance with content insurance. I'm insured for damages I may cause though an accident that turns out to be my fault though my home and contents insurance, my membership of British Cycling and my bank account. By far and away most cyclists are insured.

Given that 1 in 10 cars on the road are allegedly uninsured I think we can reasonably assume that around the same percentage of cyclists are insured as car drivers.

Soldato
Insurance got a mention. Haven't seen tax yet, but staying optimistic.

[FnG]magnolia;24935473 said:
Have we talked about road tax and insurance yet or is that still to come?

Arguably in this case, given the driver is foreign and driving a foreign registered car, the Cyclist would be well within his rights to tell him to get off the road because he doesn't pay 'road tax'! :p

Soldato
Despite a picture clearly showing N'Zonzi stopped at the scene :rolleyes:

He failed to give up his insurance details or any other information, he even joked he couldn't be traced because he was foreign. While that might not fit the description, thats still leaving the scene of an accident and not stopping properly.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Strange he didn't see him as it's a foreign plated car I'd expect it to be a left hander putting the driver on the cyclists/path side.
Jail the car driver for 25 years I reckon & release a few murderers & rapists to make room for him & any other car driver.

Caporegime
LOL try having a commute home on part of the London 2012 Olympic cycle race route. Every night there's a different group of cyclists timing themselves on it. Wouldn't be so bad but there's a perfectly good cycle lane on both sides of the dual carriageway, but they prefer to form a pelaton in lane one instead :mad:

Caporegime
This is the first time I've posted this but Castiel you are talking crap.
I couldn't agree more.

I don't doubt the cyclist could have done more to slow down whilst being overtaken and cut up, but to say it's not the drivers fault? They are both to blame, but the driver more so in the case for overtaking and immediately braking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am looking forward to road closures for car events and car races. I might take part in those. It would only be fair due to the amount of stupid road closures for cycle races that we get around these parts....

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I think a lot of the cause of this kind of thing is down to 2 reasons.

1. Cyclists thinking they have right of passage because they are Eco friendly saving the planet bla bla bla

2. Motorists thinking they have right of passage because they have paid there insurance/Tax/MOT.

In reality it's Motor cyclists that have right of passage as we wear leather look sexy & smell nice.

Back
Top Bottom