Dad just lost sight in his right eye, advice to anyone with older parents

Associate
My dad just completely lost sight in his right eye yesterday. He's in hospital right now to see what they can do but most likely won't gain his right eye vision back without multiple operations, even then it won't be much. The retina just completely detached.

My dad is 70 and reading the brochure it says people around the ages of 60-70 are most susceptible to this. My advice for anyone with parents around this age is to see an optician every year (the last time my dad went was when he was 50 or something). They said in the brochure it CAN be prevented if the optician can spot it and treat it with some form of laser compared to the now physical operation he will have to go under.

Apparently there was no prior signs, it just completely went out but I don't know if this is him in denial or just not aware. I took yesterday to think about any possible signs I could and I came up with two you should look out for:

1. If they still drive watch closely. I was not in the car at the time but my mother said he was very skewed on one side of the motorway lanes not near the centre of the lines. It was enough that they argued about it
2. Hand eye coordination. If you hand them something watch for how they accept the item. I remember last week my dad took an extra second to grab something I gave him which I didn't think nothing of at the time

I should have been aware of these issues and put 2 and 2 together. I feel stupid for not doing it. Hopefully someone else out there can one day save their parents eyesight (or maybe even your own) by catching it early and learn from my shortcomings

Associate
OP
Update: Dad is back home after a 1 hour 30 minute operation. I've never seen my dad so scared before. Imagine being awake as they stick stuff into your eyeball that you can't see but you hear them talking about it. He now has to lay in bed for 2-3 months on his side to allow the healing process to occur (he won't be able to see for awhile still) but the operation was apparently a success. His eye is full of some form of gas and has to wear a bracelet to warn people his eye might explode if he is in an accident. He has 2 sets of eye drops we need to do 4 times a day for a month or so but the main concern is rest and absolutely no form of lifting or anything physical. He can't even bend down to put his socks on the pressure is too bad.

I had to laugh at the discharge form it has stuff like "don't swim"

Back
Top Bottom